woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
hi
So few days ago someone posted on a thread about Gouda cheese slices and for the life of me I can’t find it. Can’t remember who it was either.
Although I believe it was either @xfieldok or @Goonergal altjough it could be anyone so apologies if not you.
Anyway it was about cooking (I think) the cheese to make a snack.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @woollygal

Just type Gouda into the search field, top right, and a list of all posts mentioning Gouda will appear, in date order, recent first.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T'was me. I buy the ready sliced gouda. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment paper, preheat the oven on lowest setting.

Cut gouda into strips and then into triangles. It's a but fiddly, they shouldn't be touching.

Bake for around an hour, then keep checking, the difference between done and burned is a few seconds. Allow to cool, keep in an airtight container for up to a week.

Mine have never actually made it to the container.

Google keto cheese snacks there are hundreds of recipes out there.

Reactions: woollygal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi
So few days ago someone posted on a thread about Gouda cheese slices and for the life of me I can’t find it. Can’t remember who it was either.
Although I believe it was either @xfieldok or @Goonergal altjough it could be anyone so apologies if not you.
Anyway it was about cooking (I think) the cheese to make a snack.

Hi. It wasn’t me, but I found this that @xfieldok posted:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/im-confused-newly-diganosed-t2-but.164697/

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you mean to turn them into crisps? Could've been me. If so, it can be done in the oven or microwave. Simply slice very thinly or grate, put on baking paper. I like to add smoked paprika, or curry, or garlic powder and black pepper or chilli powder.
Zap in microwave for somewhee between one and a half an 3 minutes and let cool on kitchen roll or such.
Should be very crispy when cooled, if not, put back in for a bit longer.
The first couple of times I made them in pretty triangles before baking, now I just break when they're done.
Can't remember how long they needed when making them in the oven, but they turned out just the same as from the microwave.

I'm sure it works with other cheeses as well :)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Do you mean to turn them into crisps? Could've been me. If so, it can be done in the oven or microwave. Simply slice very thinly or grate, put on baking paper. I like to add smoked paprika, or curry, or garlic powder and black pepper or chilli powder.
Zap in microwave for somewhee between one and a half an 3 minutes and let cool on kitchen roll or such.
Should be very crispy when cooled, if not, put back in for a bit longer.
The first couple of times I made them in pretty triangles before baking, now I just break when they're done.
Can't remember how long they needed when making them in the oven, but they turned out just the same as from the microwave.

I'm sure it works with other cheeses as well :)
Possibly. Very frustrating when you just can’t remember.

Thanks

Reactions: Antje77

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
T'was me. I buy the ready sliced gouda. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment paper, preheat the oven on lowest setting.

Cut gouda into strips and then into triangles. It's a but fiddly, they shouldn't be touching.

Bake for around an hour, then keep checking, the difference between done and burned is a few seconds. Allow to cool, keep in an airtight container for up to a week.

Mine have never actually made it to the container.

Google keto cheese snacks there are hundreds of recipes out there.
Great thank you. Sorry missed this earlier, it didn’t show me post for some reason

I’ll make some to take on weekend, sounds like they don’t need to keep them cool

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I boost my Green credentials by just eating the Gouda slices straight out of the packet.:cool:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I boost my Green credentials by just eating the Gouda slices straight out of the packet.:cool:
Me too! I eat it before I take my morning meds. The nice thing about having them done in the oven is that they take the place of crisp type snacks.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I shall have to try microwaving some. My current cheese crispies are made from little squashed heaps grated parmesan with or without a bit of milled golden flax seed thrown in.

Robbity