Can’t lose the weight gained since starting insulin

NewToLADA

Hello - I hope this is the right place to ask!

I’ve gained a couple of stone since starting on Tresiba & Novorapid and I’m really struggling to lose it and it’s starting to get me down.

I eat really low carb to keep my insulin needs as low as possible - no bread / pasta / potato etc, I exercise regularly and am in calorie deficit every day but I don’t see any change on the scales.

I keep being told “that’s life on insulin” but I’m desperate to reduce my weight so I wondered if anybody has any success stories to give me faith - or tips on what I could do over and about what I’m already doing please?

Thanks for reading :)

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have many hypos? I find treating lots of lows piles on the weight.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unless you have insulin resistance, the way to lose weight with Type 1 (or LADA) is the same as you would without diabetes.
Life on insulin with Type 1 does not mean weight gain. All the insulin you are injecting is replacing what your body would produce if it hadn't killed off your beta cells.

Reactions: Finnlee and becca59

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 2 on insulin due to steroids, and although I low carb, I have to also be in a calorie deficit to keep losing weight or even stay the same.

I know for some people just low carb and not monitoring calories works but not for me.

Reactions: NewToLADA and filly

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Unfortunately, insulin is a medicine that makes you fat. You can lose weight, it will just be harder than without insulin. In addition, when you do a lot of sports, there is a moment when your fat mass decreases, but muscle mass increases, that is, you lose weight, but do not lose weight (by the way, it is easier to gain not only fat mass, but also muscle mass on insulin. Just don't demand quick results from yourself, it's really harder to do, but you're doing everything right

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I too gained weight when I was on novarapid. It’s the insulin that makes you hungry, you eat, inject more, eat inject it’s a viscous circle. I felt hungry all the time. I was taken off novarapid due to weight gain!

NewToLADA

Unless you have insulin resistance, the way to lose weight with Type 1 (or LADA) is the same as you would without diabetes.
Life on insulin with Type 1 does not mean weight gain. All the insulin you are injecting is replacing what your body would produce if it hadn't killed off your beta cells.

Thank you - my doctor has mentioned insulin resistance but I didn’t appreciate that it could affect weight loss. Do you happen to know if I need to take a different approach in that case please?

NewToLADA

Unfortunately, insulin is a medicine that makes you fat. You can lose weight, it will just be harder than without insulin. In addition, when you do a lot of sports, there is a moment when your fat mass decreases, but muscle mass increases, that is, you lose weight, but do not lose weight (by the way, it is easier to gain not only fat mass, but also muscle mass on insulin. Just don't demand quick results from yourself, it's really harder to do, but you're doing everything right

That’s interesting, thank you. It’s hard not to get frustrated when you’re putting the effort in but not seeing the results!

NewToLADA

I too gained weight when I was on novarapid. It’s the insulin that makes you hungry, you eat, inject more, eat inject it’s a viscous circle. I felt hungry all the time. I was taken off novarapid due to weight gain!

That’s interesting, would you mind me asking which insulin you have changed onto and whether it has helped with your weight please?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I
That’s interesting, would you mind me asking which insulin you have changed onto and whether it has helped with your weight please
That’s interesting, would you mind me asking which insulin you have changed onto and whether it has helped with your weight please?
I’m just on lantus twice a day and I was on Ozempic but I’ve stopped taking it.

niatellewis

What did they replace the novorapid with? I have gained 5 stone due to novorapid 3 times a day and am seriously depressed because of it!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
What did they replace the novorapid with? I have gained 5 stone due to novorapid 3 times a day and am seriously depressed because of it!
I was taken off novarapid and I think I went onto to Byetta. I’m still on lantus but twice a day instead of once a day. More recently I’ve been on Ozempic but I’ve taken myself off that due to side effects. It was good for my blood sugar and weight but I couldn’t cope with the side effects.