Can a drop in basal insulin affect my retinopathy?

jms2204

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hello everyone,

my wife of 13 years has type 1 diabetes and diabetic retinopathy. She had extensive laser treatment after diagnosis for the retinopathy and her eyes are now stable.
She is currently training at the gym in an effort to lose weight, however this is causing her to have some bad hypos.

She is adamant that a quick, dramatic drop in the dosage of her background insulin can have an effect on her eyesight, so she is reluctant to do so. she is reducing it by a couple of units every 3-4 days.

Can someone confirm if this is true or is it safe for her to just drop this dosage by a good percentage in one go?

i am definitely not an expert when it comes to diabetes, but im worried that these hypos, which are often followed by corrective spikes, could have a worse effect on her eyesight.

Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
hello everyone,

my wife of 13 years has type 1 diabetes and diabetic retinopathy. She had extensive laser treatment after diagnosis for the retinopathy and her eyes are now stable.
She is currently training at the gym in an effort to lose weight, however this is causing her to have some bad hypos.

She is adamant that a quick, dramatic drop in the dosage of her background insulin can have an effect on her eyesight, so she is reluctant to do so. she is reducing it by a couple of units every 3-4 days.

Can someone confirm if this is true or is it safe for her to just drop this dosage by a good percentage in one go?

i am definitely not an expert when it comes to diabetes, but im worried that these hypos, which are often followed by corrective spikes, could have a worse effect on her eyesight.

Thanks
Hi @jms2204 , welcomt to the forum.

From what I understand, a sudden drop in blood glucose can affect exosting diabetic eye problems, but I've never heard of a sudden drop in insulin doses (provided BG stays stable) being an issue.

If she spikes after treating her hypos, what about her having a look at her hypo treatment? She might be able to treat the hypo without spiking.

• Agree
Reactions: In Response