Can anybody recommend a good Type 1 diabetes book?

Jay85

Hi everyone

As the title says really, I am looking for a good book to read on my type 1 diabetes, but one specifically that explains everything in a way that's easier to understand and not baffle me with words and jargon that would confuse the most intelligent of people.

I have been a diabetic since 2015 and was originally diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic but it quickly became apparent that i was never that and was told infact that i am Type 1 and was put on insulin straight away.

Even though it's been soon approaching 6 years since my original diagnosis, I still feel there is a lot i either don't know or don't understand and in order to get a better grasp on it all i feel a good book on it to read on quiet nights would be beneficial to me.

Any pointers on putting me in the right direction would be appreciated

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Dr.Bernstein's - Diabetes solution, is a good one. I'm sure others will be along with other suggestions.

Reactions: Jay85

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dr.Bernstein's - Diabetes solution, is a good one. I'm sure others will be along with other suggestions.
I tried reading this and don't think it matches the OP's requirements to "explains everything in a way that's easier to understand and not baffle me with words and jargon that would confuse the most intelligent of people."
I would NOT be recommending this as a simple read.

Reactions: Jay85

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Sugar Surfing is probably the easiest read, and was a lightbulb moment for me. I went through 20 years of terrible control (dx T1 in 1986) and until 2014, was quite literally clueless about diabetes. Think Like a Pancreas, Sugar Surfing and Pumping Insulin were life changers for me. No need for a pump or CGM (if you don't have them), as an excellent intro and if you can implement without either then you have the foundations for everything you need IMO! Sadly I was to late, and ended with Stage 5 Renal failure, and am now post (SPK) translant, but wish more than you can believe I had been exposed to these decades ago! Not been on here for a few years but happy to help if you have any questions

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I tried reading this and don't think it matches the OP's requirements to "explains everything in a way that's easier to understand and not baffle me with words and jargon that would confuse the most intelligent of people."
I would NOT be recommending this as a simple read.

Yeah, perhaps you're right.... to the OP, @Jay85 feel free to ignore what I suggested.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Bright Spots and Landmines - Adam Brown, as featured in Diabetes Daily.
Can be downloaded for free. Nice graphics. Easy going.

Reactions: JMoli