Can anyone advise?

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I don't know if theres anyone who can advise, i have been referred to a diabetes consultant at my local hospital due to fitting the critiria for a insulin pump, but this consultant would have to refer me to KIngs College Hospital in London if he agrees to me getting a pump (as the area i am in kent do not fund adults ,only children for the pumps). The problem i have is that we are thinking of moving to a different area in the summer (Essex) to be closer to family so what would i do because i don't know how long i will have to see the diabetes consultant before he refers me to London and i don't want to waste time going through all of that then to be told that when i move i will have to start again.

Any advise would be appriciated

tracey167

jopar

Tracey

Has the consultant agreed that insulin pump therapy is the way forward for you? If he/she has then Kent is breaking the law if they are refusing funding on the pretext that they only fund children and not adults... They have no say in this, as NICE guidelines says if you got the clinical judgement that you fit the criteria for pump thearpy then your PCT is legally bound to fund it....

I suggest that you contact INPUT (easily found with google search) as they will be able to advice you, both over the lack (and ilegal) funding within Kent..

But they can also help provide options concerning Kings College and your pending move..

Is it possible that you can still travel to Kings College after you moved? You then can request a transfer to a pump clinic nearer to where you live after you've got up and runing on the pump...

It may be possible to ask for a referral to a pump clinic now, that is located near to where you indeed to move..

INPUT will be able to give you information, to pump friendly clinics in your intended new area, plus help with information concerning the other aspects