can anyone help daughters blood sugars high

iHs

Hi

Basal insulin is notorious for needing to be adjusted, so don't worry. Before you increase the basal, how much carb does yr daughter eat for bedtime supper?

sophsmam

Most nights she'll will have a bowl of berries which are low in sugar.She can't have cereal for supper her b/s goes though the roof.So last night she wanted some waffles which was 26grams so i gave her insulin to cover it.
so would you suggest that i increase her levemir.
Katherine did say i could try 29 ive asked her so many questions,i didn't like to bother her.But after looking at her b/s thoughout the days and saw that they were all ok. Did i need too or did she just need extra for tea and then some at supper.The last time she had too much at bed she had 4 hypos the next day,which i'd rather not happen again .

iHs

Yes as Katherine said you could increase the basal up a bit more if you want but the only thing is by doing this is that you've got to more or less keep the dose the same each night along with the bedtime carb the same as well.

If you want to vary the amount of carb eaten each night, then you might be better to go for a lower basal which you keep the same dose and have a go at adding as you have already done, a bit of bolus. How much you add though is trial and error (you will need to get up in the middle of the night to do a quick bg test just to make sure that you haven't given too much bolus)

sophsmam

when she does have berries for supper she stays stable thoughout the night between 8 and ten.Then will wake below that i spoke to the Dietitian about what she could have for supper,that didn't make her b/s go high during the night she could be anywhere from 12 to 16.She suggested crumpets we did that woke up high,so she had waffles last night with a dose of bolus woke up with b/s of 7.7. the the rest of the day b/s between 4 and 7.and that is even the past five days when her b/s in the morning have been high.so to me that suggests her levemir is right and its the amount of carbs for supper thats the cause.i could be wrong

iHs

Hmmmm yes I would say that is correct. I know people want to be able to give their kids whatever they want to eat but sometimes it's better to have a little self discipline and keep to eating the same amount of carb at bedtime every night rather than vary it. Anyway :) it's up to you to decide what to do.

Once you become fairly confident in adjusting insulin, you will then become ' your own boss'

sophsmam

Well last night she had one waffle and a bowl of berries and dose of bolus to cover waffle.before bed she was 4.4 so i said i'd check her in a bit.30 mins later 6.4 before i went to bed 6.9.then i got up about 2 she was 6.9.and woke up 7.8 she must be very insulin resistant if she needs extra at bed.
for instance if for breakfast she's having scrambled egg and bacon mushromms and a glass of milk.She would need 8 or 9 units just to keep her bloods low.when really only the milk is the carb be glad when she's gone though puberty.

iHs

sophsmam said:
Well last night she had one waffle and a bowl of berries and dose of bolus to cover waffle.before bed she was 4.4 so i said i'd check her in a bit.30 mins later 6.4 before i went to bed 6.9.then i got up about 2 she was 6.9.and woke up 7.8 she must be very insulin resistant if she needs extra at bed.
for instance if for breakfast she's having scrambled egg and bacon mushromms and a glass of milk.She would need 8 or 9 units just to keep her bloods low.when really only the milk is the carb be glad when she's gone though puberty.

A bg reading of 7.8 is only a tiny bit up as a fasting so nothing really to get worried about. I dont think that your daughter is insulin resistant at all. It's fairly common for all of us who use the likes of lantus/levemir to need a lot more bolus insulin in the morning to cover what we eat. Its only when the basal gets going late morning that bolus doses can then be reduced. You will need a different insulin to carb ratio for the morning according to what is eaten and what bg levels are, a different insulin to carb ratio for lunchtime to teatime and a different one again from teatime to supper.

You say that your daughter needs 8 or 9 units to cover milk, scrambled egg etc. The protein content in the eggs will make her bg levels rise up quite a bit even though they contain no carbs. You might be much better I think just to eat a small bowl of cereal and bolus for that.

sophsmam

her morning b/s since last thurs to wed were anywhere from 11 to 14 with having crumpets.we weren't given her bolous till wednight when her morning readings were then 7.the reason why she doesn't have a bowl of cereal for breakfast is she would need nearly 14 to 15 units.and im trying to redcuce her insulin intake so she doesn't put on weight.she is on 1 unit per 7 grams now instead of 1 to 10 plus 2 or 3 extra on top of that.thats for all meals so now she having bolous at supper its keeping her b/s below ten on a morning.

iHs

Have you tried using just the scrambled egg at breakfast with 1/2 slice of Burgen low GI bread (6g of carb) instead of glass of milk just to see what happens to bg levels later?

iHs

How high is yr daughter's bg levels 2hrs after she has eaten in the morning. If she starts off the day with bg of 7.8 then by rights, she should be no higher than 10 mid morning. If she is a lot higher, then you should think about using a 1:6 ratio just to see what happens. If she is 7 and under, then that's good but she will need to boost herself up a touch and eat say a 10g carb snack.

sophsmam

her b/s are anywhere between 5 and 9 but usually 6 or 7 after 2 hours.a little snack then b/s at mealtimes 5 or 7.the only reason she gets milk is she loves milk and would drink it 2 or 3 times a day.and since she misses out on quite a lot she gets a glass of milk a day.if i increase her levemir theres a risk she may have hypos the next day.if i increase her insulin dose its a lot more than she's on now,when her b/s are good thoughout the day.
and the only resaon i think she's been high is because of the carb intake at supper.when she was just having berries she would wake up anywhere between 4 and 7.so the 2 weeks when we started her on 28 units with berries great b/s.the second she get's crumpets high morning which indicates the levemir is right for her without the high carb intake.
im quite mad at myself she had 3 months of high b/s thoughout the day.then she had 2 weeks of great b/s with change of diet, and the minute i change her supper after advice of the dietitian high b/s.

iHs

Go back to as you were then.

Unfortunately, a dietitian, consultant of even any of us, can climb inside someone's body and find out what's going on :)

We all have to learn by using trial and error most of the time although we should acknowledge what the medical peeps say, even though it can be a bit confusing :roll: