1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by RHNtype1, Mar 16, 2015.

1. RHNtype1

RHNtype1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, I wonder if you might be able to help with a question I have about someone with type 2.She is a woman with a Learning disability and I know her through my work. She is prescribed Humalog twice daily, is this common? she is not carb counting and is told to take the injections morning and evening. Why would a short acting insulin be used in this way? Also is anyone else on a similar regime? I am type 1 and use Humalog in my pump but had not come across anyone with type 2 being treated this way. Thanks if you can help.Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

• Like Like x 2
  3. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sure it's not a Humalog Mix?

4. June_C

June_C Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I'm also on Humalog and inject twice a day. Mine is a mix, but I'm T1.

5. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So if it's a Humalog Mix, then that's not a short acting insulin, more a medium, and it would fit with the situation you are describing (including learning difficulties) and is probably the safest option for her.

6. RHNtype1

RHNtype1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks, she certainly said Humalog but has had a bit of stress lately so I will check again.I have known a couple of people over the years who have had learning difficulties and who had one or other type of diabetes. I have been and am quite concerned that poorer control is accepted if not expected and that amongst other health inequalities this leads to poorer health and shorter life expectancy for diabetics who had learning difficulties. I plan to offer some support when she next has a clinic appointment. Fingers crossed.Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook