can anyone recommend a good book??

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello my son is being fitted with an insulin pump next week and would love a good book with advice in to read, has anyone found a good one.
i did buy one pumping insulin byjohn walsh but finding it really hard going to get my head around what hes talking about and its solid text so my attention seems to wander abit, i will keep plugging away at it but just wondered if there is anything better out there
thanks
anna marie

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think th Walsh book is the most recent for non professionals, there are couple of UK books that have been produced more recently but they are for HCP so presumably just as detailed.
There is a workbook on the internet, it's produced by a UK hospital and aimed at patients. It includes basic things on how to work out basals, carb ratios, what to do when hypo/hyper etc. I might be worth a look.

http://www.diabetes-education.net/pdf/r ... rkbook.pdf
For anyone the workbook has a really good flow chart as to what to do when levels are high, I think its worth printing out for emergency use.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanks for the reply i had a feeling someone would say the book i have is prob the best jusy hard going thats all lol, i will def have a look at the link u have suggested thanks again
anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've got the same book and am finding it quite useful. I think it's hard going especially when it's all new so seems all the more confusing. But if you stick with it and dip in and out as and when you need to it will start to make sense.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanx sophie im hoping when we get the pump it might make more sense to me where as at the moment its solid reading and i dont feel im taking anything in lol maybe things will become clear soon

scoots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Anna Marie,

I appreciate your dilemma, there is so much to get your head around!

You may already have seen this book, which is not specifically about insulin pumps however I found it invaluable for getting to grips with carb-counting:

www.carbsandcals.com

I have the Carbs and Cals book, which gives a visual representation and carb values of a wide range of food types and portion sizes. This would be useful for both you and Dylan, and you could easily use it to learn together.

Good luck for next week, I hipe it all goes well.

Jen

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hiya
yes we have that book also bought it after attending the choice course for kids, and ur right its fab trying to persuade my other half i need an i phone to have the app for it then i would have the info where ever i go lol its not working i have to say
anna marie

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anna Marie,

Don't forget you can get the same apps on a lot of other smart phones... my mate showed me his Desire at the weekend (not like that! :oops: ... it's an HTC phone) ... and it seems to have all the same stuff as an iphone.

Sam.

scoots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm hankering for it to be available on the Kindle...

Love the Desire, what a fab name for a phone that does it all!

Jen