Can basal need changes be this dramtic?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So for a long, long time my overnight basal has been spot on and I wake up with BG between 4 and 5. For the last 3 weeks or so I've had a cold but it didn't seem to have done that much to my BG I've also had some set issues so I've been more stressed.

Anyway I noticed I was waking with higher BG, from 6.8 to 8.3. I wasn't sure if this was in part to not enough insulin for dinner, although my BG before bed I would adjust if not on target.

So last night ate at 8.40pm. BG at 11.40pm 5.8 and still had a little insulin on board. Had a lie in so woke up at 9.30 with 13.7 :shock: :shock: :shock:

So I am going to do basal fasting tonight if I can but I'm just amazed the change in needs can be so great. Is this normal?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If you are getting unpredictable numbers wait until you have the 8mm cannula to try. I have found my problems were due to a cannula being to short.
So hang on for a few day but perhaps do a check in the 2 - 3 am time frame just in case you are going hypo and had a liver dump/rebound.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Go back to basics... Test 2-3,times during night.. Then you will see whats happening over a couple of nights...

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey DonnellysDogs!!! Did you get my email? Are you all settled now? :)

I am going to do a couple of BG checks at night, also just so I can correct if needed. CarbsRok is right though I need to wait until I try the 8mm steels to do basal adjustment.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No mushy i havent got email ... Had to change it due to moving- will pm you..now living closer to you!!!

Still keep looking at posts... Wish you found pump easier!!

Wld still do couple nights of testing!!!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
donnellysdogs said:
Wld still do couple nights of testing!!!

There is no point in doing basal testing until the new sets have been tried as likely to cause a dif in basal needs.
I have lowered my basal over a 24 hour period by 1 unit so far.
That is why a check in the small hours to make sure not going hypo is all that is needed for now.
Why have more interupted sleep than necessary it's also a waste of test strips?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Didn't do basal test but did BG at 3am and was 5.1

BG at 8am 7.8. Not sure if this would be a hypo or not but certainly didn't feel like I'd gone low.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MushyPeaBrain said:
Didn't do basal test but did BG at 3am and was 5.1

BG at 8am 7.8. Not sure if this would be a hypo or not but certainly didn't feel like I'd gone low.

Perhaps check at 5 or 6 AM tomorrow as a small tweak is needed by the sound of it. Good thing is you know it's not a hypo :)