Can coming off medication become a reality or is it a dream?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My husband was on Naproxen, but he had to come off it as it made him anemic. Have your iron levels been ok on Naproxen? Anemia is a little know side effect, according to his GP.
My levels were fine at my last bloods. My previous gp was aware of the anaemia risk so it is monitored.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
Thank you to all of you who have taken time to respond. I am seeing my diabetic nurse next week and I will talk to her about my ambition to cut down on my medication. My GP was ready to increase my statins when my cholesterol had recently gone up but with my weight loss and watching my diet, I have managed to get the cholesterol down so I know that I don't have to resort to medication but doctors I think just find it easier to keep prescribing. I will check out the attitude of the nurse next week to see if I get a negative vibe from her about it or encouragement. I realise I do need to work with my doctor/nurse but I will need their positive support and not a negative one otherwise I will consider changing doctors.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you to all of you who have taken time to respond. I am seeing my diabetic nurse next week and I will talk to her about my ambition to cut down on my medication. My GP was ready to increase my statins when my cholesterol had recently gone up but with my weight loss and watching my diet, I have managed to get the cholesterol down so I know that I don't have to resort to medication but doctors I think just find it easier to keep prescribing. I will check out the attitude of the nurse next week to see if I get a negative vibe from her about it or encouragement. I realise I do need to work with my doctor/nurse but I will need their positive support and not a negative one otherwise I will consider changing doctors.

Just remember that theirs (Health care professionals) is an advisory role. The choices you make are ultimately your own but, and it is a big but, make sure that your choices are informed ones. Gain knowledge of your medications and your condition and then you can go to your HCPs armed with that knowledge.
Above all, take it very slowly. Good luck.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully my own experience will be encouraging to you.I was diagnosed type 2 sixteen years ago... Hbac63...GP was adamant that I could not use diet only.I was prescribed 2 Metformin daily.Iwas already on two blood pressure tablets for another condition and later a third was added.A few years on lansoprazole was added for bad reflux.......then extra Metformin ,followed by Gliclazide...I also gained weight which I couldn't shift....Fast forward to a year ago.I began the low carb programme very slowly,and then developed my own eating plan after reading experiences on this site.I now follow a lowish carb medium fat diet/way of life.I can't do vigorous exercise.I have lost 2 stone in weight,my Hba1c is 42 from 48.The good news is that my DN advised to drop the Gliclazide and then a Metformin.Ihave now reached my target weight without stressing.

Now this may not be the method for everyone,and my DN was supportive providing me with a meter and strips I think out of curiosity!....She says I'm the only patient in the practice following this method.She was interested to see my food diary plus my meter readings as I eat to my meter.One particular GP did say that it wouldn't work and I wouldn't stick to it!....Just what I needed to prove him wrong!.....Do involve your HPs if reducing meds.Im more about getting as near normal BS readings without spikes than just reducing meds.My blood pressure readings have improved but I expect to remain on bp tablets.Hope this gives you some encouragement.No one way is right for everyone,our bodies are all different,hopefully the way forward is to tailor a diet etc to your own medical situation.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hopefully my own experience will be encouraging to you.I was diagnosed type 2 sixteen years ago... Hbac63...GP was adamant that I could not use diet only.I was prescribed 2 Metformin daily.Iwas already on two blood pressure tablets for another condition and later a third was added.A few years on lansoprazole was added for bad reflux.......then extra Metformin ,followed by Gliclazide...I also gained weight which I couldn't shift....Fast forward to a year ago.I began the low carb programme very slowly,and then developed my own eating plan after reading experiences on this site.I now follow a lowish carb medium fat diet/way of life.I can't do vigorous exercise.I have lost 2 stone in weight,my Hba1c is 42 from 48.The good news is that my DN advised to drop the Gliclazide and then a Metformin.Ihave now reached my target weight without stressing.

Now this may not be the method for everyone,and my DN was supportive providing me with a meter and strips I think out of curiosity!....She says I'm the only patient in the practice following this method.She was interested to see my food diary plus my meter readings as I eat to my meter.One particular GP did say that it wouldn't work and I wouldn't stick to it!....Just what I needed to prove him wrong!.....Do involve your HPs if reducing meds.Im more about getting as near normal BS readings without spikes than just reducing meds.My blood pressure readings have improved but I expect to remain on bp tablets.Hope this gives you some encouragement.No one way is right for everyone,our bodies are all different,hopefully the way forward is to tailor a diet etc to your own medical situation.

Well said and well done.

Reactions: Glenmac

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Let's remember that Processor Tim Noakes takes Metformin for this Type2, yet he has converted more people to LCHF then anyone else and was willing to lose his job over it. Therefore I am in no rush to come off Metformin unless I get side effects that reduce my quality of life.

(Yes I have just finished reading "Diabetes Unpacked", and would highly recommend it.)

Reactions: carina62