1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Can doctors prescribe meal replacement drinks?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Alex_B, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Alex_B

Alex_B Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As some of you aware I've had digestive issues, been diagnosed with EPI. I can't bring myself to eat anymore as everything just causes a bad reaction and I'm terrified to take my insulin due to the hunger it causes. I'm seeing my doctor Monday morning and I want to know if she will be able to prescribe meal replacement drinks or advise me on what to have? I'm just done with eating.

I know it's bad not to eat being a type one diabetic, but due to the chronic stomach pain I am sometimes having hypos while paralysed in pain and can not move to get my hypo treatment, which as you all know is dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Your GP should be able to give you advice on what to get in meal replacement drinks.

I know my GP will write up a script for them, but they would be non PBS so I would have to pay full price for them.

3. Nyxks

Nyxks Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My GP has prescribed meal replacement shake but since I can't have dairy products we are having trouble getting the soy based one approved, other wise there would be 0 problem with the script.

4. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your doctor should be able to prescribe some as you have a medical condition that makes normal eating difficult and painful

5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

How's it going these days @Alex_B ? My only concern about using meal rreplacement drinks is it doesn't feel like a grat longer term solution. It could be your team are keen to sort out your meds and usual eating regimes so that you are morre comfortable around decent food.

At one point in my life I needed a short while on a supplement (on top of normal eating), but I had to stop it abrruptly and it upset my tummy dreadfully and I ended up on all sorts of drips, do to my electrolytes had gone wonky.

6. Alex_B

Alex_B Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm not wanting to use them long-term. Right now I am terrified of eating anything (anxiety attacks and mini breakdowns eating) I'm crying most of the time due to eating so I just want to use them so if I can't eat something due to the anxiety I can at least have something.

My diabetes nurse suggested I give them a try until my medication is sorted as I also spoke to a dietician and I'm on the wrong medication for EPI. I'm suppose to have 25000 for meals and 10000 for snacks, got the doctors tomorrow so hopefully going to get this sorted, then I can hopefully learn to love food again.

7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Excellent. I'm pleased you're just looking at them as a bit of a bridge back to food.

It must be so annoying to have not quite the right meds yet, but I'm sure you'll get there.

I know after I used suppleements, it was a long, long, long time before the thought of a milkshake type drrink didn't turn me green!

Keep us in the loop. It'll be great to hear you're doing better and feeling a bit happier in yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook