Type 1 Can doctors prescribe meal replacement drinks?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As some of you aware I've had digestive issues, been diagnosed with EPI. I can't bring myself to eat anymore as everything just causes a bad reaction and I'm terrified to take my insulin due to the hunger it causes. I'm seeing my doctor Monday morning and I want to know if she will be able to prescribe meal replacement drinks or advise me on what to have? I'm just done with eating.

I know it's bad not to eat being a type one diabetic, but due to the chronic stomach pain I am sometimes having hypos while paralysed in pain and can not move to get my hypo treatment, which as you all know is dangerous.

Reactions: michita
D

Deleted member 308541

I'm seeing my doctor Monday morning and I want to know if she will be able to prescribe meal replacement drinks or advise me on what to have? I'm just done with eating.
Your GP should be able to give you advice on what to get in meal replacement drinks.

I know my GP will write up a script for them, but they would be non PBS so I would have to pay full price for them.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
My GP has prescribed meal replacement shake but since I can't have dairy products we are having trouble getting the soy based one approved, other wise there would be 0 problem with the script.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your doctor should be able to prescribe some as you have a medical condition that makes normal eating difficult and painful

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How's it going these days @Alex_B ? My only concern about using meal rreplacement drinks is it doesn't feel like a grat longer term solution. It could be your team are keen to sort out your meds and usual eating regimes so that you are morre comfortable around decent food.

At one point in my life I needed a short while on a supplement (on top of normal eating), but I had to stop it abrruptly and it upset my tummy dreadfully and I ended up on all sorts of drips, do to my electrolytes had gone wonky.

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How's it going these days @Alex_B ? My only concern about using meal rreplacement drinks is it doesn't feel like a grat longer term solution. It could be your team are keen to sort out your meds and usual eating regimes so that you are morre comfortable around decent food.

At one point in my life I needed a short while on a supplement (on top of normal eating), but I had to stop it abrruptly and it upset my tummy dreadfully and I ended up on all sorts of drips, do to my electrolytes had gone wonky.

I'm not wanting to use them long-term. Right now I am terrified of eating anything (anxiety attacks and mini breakdowns eating) I'm crying most of the time due to eating so I just want to use them so if I can't eat something due to the anxiety I can at least have something.

My diabetes nurse suggested I give them a try until my medication is sorted as I also spoke to a dietician and I'm on the wrong medication for EPI. I'm suppose to have 25000 for meals and 10000 for snacks, got the doctors tomorrow so hopefully going to get this sorted, then I can hopefully learn to love food again.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not wanting to use them long-term. Right now I am terrified of eating anything (anxiety attacks and mini breakdowns eating) I'm crying most of the time due to eating so I just want to use them so if I can't eat something due to the anxiety I can at least have something.

My diabetes nurse suggested I give them a try until my medication is sorted as I also spoke to a dietician and I'm on the wrong medication for EPI. I'm suppose to have 25000 for meals and 10000 for snacks, got the doctors tomorrow so hopefully going to get this sorted, then I can hopefully learn to love food again.

Excellent. I'm pleased you're just looking at them as a bit of a bridge back to food.

It must be so annoying to have not quite the right meds yet, but I'm sure you'll get there.

I know after I used suppleements, it was a long, long, long time before the thought of a milkshake type drrink didn't turn me green!

Keep us in the loop. It'll be great to hear you're doing better and feeling a bit happier in yourself.

Reactions: Alex_B