Type 2 Can fasting raise Blood sugar levels?

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I decided to do a fast day today, and lasted until 3.30 pm when I felt a bit jittery and thought, as I'd been doing my tax return, that my brain needed some food! Anyway I tested at 5.5 which is good for me, so I thought I'd have a handful of nuts (literally about 6 which would not usually register with my BS at all) tested again two hours later as I was about to start supper.....7.4 !!!! How the heck did that happen, I've eaten nothing since last night, my fasting level was 7.6 this morning and 6.4 around what would have been lunchtime. I've had two cups of coffee with cream. Could these few nuts do that, and is it because I hadn't eaten anything up to that point that they caused such a reaction???

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You might have had a liver dump around the time you ate the nuts.

Reactions: dbr10

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Strange because if I fast my BG levels are higher in the afternoon also. As soon as I eat,90 mins later they are lower. Yet I have been having fasting levels on waking in the morning of 56.57 which I am thrilled about. It is only upon waking and fasting till 3 that I check again before I eat that my BG levels have gone higher than when first waking. Maybe its better that some people do not fast. I am not sure perhaps somebody could explain. I never past 6.3 when fasting in the day so not that high. So in a nutshell I am in the 5s on waking and after eating in the 5s..I fast in the day and my BG goes up

Reactions: charliebarker

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't fast all that often, but when I've done a limited eating window one, I've seen a rise in glucose levels (if I remember correctly after the first or second day) and this is just your liver dumping stored glucose to help top you up, and once this is depleted, since you're (hopefully!!) not re-filling this store again, you should see levels reduce.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It will have been a liver dump starting around the time you ate the nuts - your body decided your glucose was too low. Then your pancreas secretes insulin to deal with this glucose but is prevented from doing so because of insulin resistance. The liver doesn't get the message that glucose levels are now high enough because, like other cells, it is also resistant to insulin. Therefore it continues to produce glucose from its own stores until such time as it does get the message, or until such time as its stores are depleted. That is putting it very simply.

Reactions: dbr10 and Fleegle

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
Strange because if I fast my BG levels are higher in the afternoon also. As soon as I eat,90 mins later they are lower. Yet I have been having fasting levels on waking in the morning of 56.57 which I am thrilled about. It is only upon waking and fasting till 3 that I check again before I eat that my BG levels have gone higher than when first waking. Maybe its better that some people do not fast. I am not sure perhaps somebody could explain. I never past 6.3 when fasting in the day so not that high. So in a nutshell I am in the 5s on waking and after eating in the 5s..I fast in the day and my BG goes up

Derry are you on meds? As your BS seems good. And what do you eat, if you don't me asking, I'm trying so hard but it keeps going up and down. I also want to ask, how often does one eat, is it better to eat every 3 or 4 hours?

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It will have been a liver dump starting around the time you ate the nuts - your body decided your glucose was too low. Then your pancreas secretes insulin to deal with this glucose but is prevented from doing so because of insulin resistance. The liver doesn't get the message that glucose levels are now high enough because, like other cells, it is also resistant to insulin. Therefore it continues to produce glucose from its own stores until such time as it does get the message, or until such time as its stores are depleted. That is putting it very simply.

Thanks !

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Derry are you on meds? As your BS seems good. And what do you eat, if you don't me asking, I'm trying so hard but it keeps going up and down. I also want to ask, how often does one eat, is it better to eat every 3 or 4 hours?
I am only taking heart medication. Usually, I eat for lunch, Chicken salad, lettuce, cucumber, raw onions, 4 small cherry tomatoes, cheese, celery. I have loads of Romanian lettuce. Another day for lunch I will have Cheese and ham omelette with a side salad. Another day, two 90% meat sausages with cheese raw onion wrapped in lettuce. Or two boiled eggs and some cheese and cucumber. For dinner at night usually meat and veg..Greens, Broccoli, green beans, cauliflower etc. I love sliced or spiralized courgettes with chicken breast, lemon, garlic, ginger, chili flakes, little soy sauce. I will also have that with Salmon. Beef Bolognese with spiralized courgettes, or chili beef with salad. meatballs and salad, stews with green veg and chicken or beef and so on. Sometimes I skip lunch and go all day and do not eat until around 8 pm, but like I said my BG levels seem to rise, not a lot that it's dangerous but something that I notice. What I have taken to doing is if I do not fancy lunch I will have low sugar jelly with cream, this seems to stop the rise. Oh, and I love my berries, blackcurrants, strawberries raspberries with jelly and cream. I sometimes have some nuts but not really keen. Two desert spoons of flaxseed ground in a little hot water every day. I also have roast Celeriac but cut into chips, they taste just like Sweet Potato yummy. Hope this helps

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also want to ask, how often does one eat, is it better to eat every 3 or 4 hours?

The general feeling is it is better not to eat meals too close together. If you normally eat 3 meals a day space them out as evenly as possible with no snacking in between. The longer between meals the better for the pancreas. It gives it more chance to rest and recover and keeps our insulin levels lower. Also, when we eat, our BS levels go up and we need to give them plenty of time to come down again before we eat or we may see higher post meal levels.

Personally, I skip all food at breakfast other than a coffee with cream. I next eat at lunch time and then evening meal. My regime is to eat both meals in a 6 hour window and fast for the rest.