Can I donate unneeded test strips in the UK?

HJG97

Hey!

I moved over to the Libre in December and have 6/7 aviva mobile casettes spare (due to expire in late 2020/early 2021) but I haven't been able to find much information online about donating supplies in the UK, specifically Nottingham. I could find the Insulin For Life organisation but I feel it's not worth it for a few casettes, especially as they are new/unused but unboxed.
I don't really want to drop them off at the hospital (for COVID19 reasons) and couldn't find any forums on here about donating supplies - my apologies if I missed it!

Does anyone know of anywhere I can donate within the UK?

Many thanks, Hope :)

*Post edited by moderation.

Last edited by a moderator:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe there may be charities that will accept them. You still need to fingerprick on the libre.

Reactions: HJG97

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For clarity, my libre has recorded 91 low glucose events over the last 90 days. Number of actual hypos = 1.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @HJG97 ,
I agree with the above posters you shouldn't give them all away. But if you have much more than you'll use it's very thoughtful of you to want to make someone else happy with them :)

Do you use Facebook? I've seen many items change hands in Facebook groups on diabetes. It's no problem as long as it's not items needing a prescription.
Wish you all the best!

HJG97

Many thanks for all the responses @xfieldok @Antje77 - don't worry, no hard feelings (I know it's all from a place of care!). Also yes, I'm T1D.

I have a lot of fingerprick test strips for the Libre meter which I use to test (although admittedly, I do tend to rely heavily on the libre so thank you guys for emphasising this point - I will be more diligent in fingerpricking).
I had to throw out quite a few mobile cassettes a couple of months ago and didn't want to have to repeat it, especially since these cassettes only have a few more months before expiration. I'll look into surrounding charities/FB groups (might not be allowed though as they're probably prescription items).

Thanks everyone, again. :)