Can I eat more if my sugar level is low?

aaron_mky

Hi all,

My mum's sugar level has been very good recently. Before meals, it averages between 4 and 5 points occasionallyy 3ish).

I am aware that sugar level shouldn't go higher than 8.5 after meals, and no more than 2 point increase.

With it being Christmas, my mum has eaten more than she normally would and her sugar level, 2 hours after meal, always remains between 7 and 8 points, despite a 4 point increase when she tested her sugar level before the meal. Is this approach ok, or would you still recommend my mum to not increase her sugar level by 2 points, despite her low sugar level.

Many thanks,

Aaron

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your mum is doing really well. It would be a shame to spoil things now.

I would advise her that a rise of under 2 points is far more desirable than keeping it under 8.

It is the spikes that cause the damage, and anything above 2 is a spike. A 4 point increase is a huge spike.

aaron_mky

Thanks @Bluetit1802, she is doing very well.

Unfortunately her will power isn't that strong hence why it took her 20years to action her diabetes now.

What are the effects of high sugar spikes but keeping within normal range. Is it just as bad.as having a high sugar level reading?

My mum is going back to Malaysia next month for Chinese New year, and unfortunately the fold out there is not very diabetic friendly.