Can I ever say that I no longer have Type 2 Diabetes?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all do whatever we are comfortable with. I prefer to say that I have type 2 diabetes controlled by diet, because for me I know that if I abandon the diet control, the type 2 hasn't gone away, it is an illness, and will reassert itself if I don't control what I eat. Others may well actually heal their bodies sufficiently well that they can eventually process insulin/carbs/sugars the same way as non-diabetics. I have no idea if this is possible, but it would be good if it was.

I suspect insurance companies wouldn't buy into it, though.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect insurance companies wouldn't buy into it, though.

I asked my Endo if I could tick no to box asking if I have diabetes.
He said once I diagnosis is removed you are free to do so but cautioned me that the risk assessors have changed the wording on some policies to "have you ever been diagnosed" instead of "are you diagnosed"

• Useful

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But getting back to the original question - we live in interesting times regarding definitions and theories and treatment options for type two. I personally hope we get to a time when you can say "I had type two diabetes but now I - am symptom-free/ in remission/reversed it", (or even - "I don't have type two diabetes any more" !!!!), and the life insurance companies can go take a hike. It is a metabolic disease, and goodness knows - metabolisms change!

For me personally, I have accepted that I am unlikely to get there in the time I have left. But - I do not regret the trying of it! Not at all. I wouldn't know what I know about how my diabetes plays out to the extent I do (and it's to a great extent) if I had not given remission a serious bash.

But @MikeZ - it's looking really good for you, and this is a marvellous thing.
Interesting perspective. While I would never say that I am happy about being diagnosed, I have to admit that the diagnosis is exactly what I needed to force me to take better care of myself. I am fortunate that I have been able to control and reverse things... I know that many people have tried much harder and not been so lucky.

Along the same lines, this recent pandemic has had a silver lining for me. Back in April 2020, when everything locked down, my gym had to close and my daughter was laid off of her job. We began hiking together daily, whereas prior I would rarely see her. This went on for months. When she went back to work, my wife started going with me and we still go almost daily.

If I could encourage anyone on this forum, especially newly diagnosed people, I'd say that you need to do everything reasonably possible to fight the progression. While there are no guarantees, I do believe that giving up will NEVER result in a reversal.

LINMARIE

Hi AloeSava
This was very interesting to read.
I was nodding away @MikeZ, until I got to the bit about being on metformin. Officially, according to various officialdoms that I am too tired to cite right now, you need to be anti-diabetic meds free to argue on your own behalf re full complete remission/reversal. (Thinking about insurance.) Also, your fasting blood glucose reading is also involved, combined with a normal HBA1c, re complete reversal, and there is a time period stipulation as well. Hang on and I will find the link for the officialdom....

The International Diabetes Remission Registry
In www.diabetesremission.org/our-task/

“Definition of Diabetes Remission”

Following international standards a person goes into diabetes remission when the following conditions are fulfilled:

1. Had a diagnosis of diabetes

2. Fasting Serum Glucose is less than 100 mg/ml (5.6 mmol/l)

3. HbA1c is less than 6.0% (42 mmol/dL)

4. There is no hypoglycemic therapy (either pharmacological or surgical)

We define three levels of remission:

· Initial. When the conditions are fulfilled for three months

· Complete. When the conditions are fulfilled for one year

· Operational cure. When the conditions are fulfilled for five years or more”

There we are. I like the "operational cure" definition, although the word "cure" always invites lots of lively discussion :)
Hi

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And keeping the diagnosis means no vat on testing monitors etc.
That's a saving!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@MikeZ I was diagnosed with an hba1c of 48 which, after taking statins increased to 54. However I stopped taking them due to other side effects and my hba1c reduced and I have managed to maintain a normal hba1c for 9 years whilst eating approx 130 carbs per day. I still test my FBS most mornings and my BS at the 1, 2 and 3 hour point if I'm eating something 'overly carby' which I haven't eaten in a while. I appreciate that I am one of the lucky ones who can eat more carbs in a day than some forum members do in a week but my latest hba1c, taken last week, is 37. However I am still aware that if I go overboard for too long my BS levels may suffer but I haven't yet plucked up the courage to prove that theory and, if I'm honest, I probably never will! That said there are a number of foods such as Jacket potatoes, bread (lowish carb) and pasta (cooled and reheated) that I've reintroduced with no problem but, apart from bread, I don't tend to have them too often. Also if there is a low carb option such as cauliflower rice or no bun burgers I still take it. Whether this means I can say I don't have diabetes I'm not sure but I'm happy just to say that my diabetes is probably in remission and definitely well controlled. Good luck in reducing your hba1c and coming off the Metformin.

Reactions: MikeZ

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And as you take metformin if you’ve filled in a form at you GP surgery to say you are on meds and obtained a exemption certificate for diabetes all your prescriptions will be free

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I have discovered, even an 'operational cure' may well only be temporary.

If you can bring your BG under control by non-pharmaceutical means you should still have regular HbA1C blood tests to monitor your blood.

Without the Covid Pandemic, or I was not 'in remission' I would doubtless have been caught much sooner.

Reactions: Daphne917

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I have discovered, even an 'operational cure' may well only be temporary.

If you can bring your BG under control by non-pharmaceutical means you should still have regular HbA1C blood tests to monitor your blood.

Without the Covid Pandemic, or I was not 'in remission' I would doubtless have been caught much sooner.
I still have regular hba1c tests - my last reading which I had last week was 37 so no real change from the last one. I also have my screen next week.