Can I plan for a Kid?

We were planning on our second child, and now I came to know I am diabetic. I am shattered, I have not discussed this with my wife, my nightmare is we cannot go for second kid with me being diabetic. Could anyone share there experience in this regard, can I go for second child with this condition? If so will it be detrimental for child's health?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Diabetes doesn't stop you from having children so plan away, any concerns then discuss them with your health care providers.

spmccann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are millions of diabetics that have children. Talk to your wife and your doctor about your concerns. Mostly talk to your wife, its easy to get overwhelmed after diagnosis and fear the worst. Theres life a after diagnosis and for many of us its pretty good.

kezz01489

Dislikes
Judgemental people, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when people don't listen they will never learn. I know that cause that's how I used to be.
no diabetes is something that may mot even happen i m type one have two beautiful boys and well they are perfectly healthy. i asked the same question to my health team and was told it s not at all likely. its called i wouldnt worry.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using DCUK Forum mobile app

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I got told u pass it on thru your genes, were talking bac in the 80s and as time as gone by i sort of believe it but like most diabetics the ? why me arrise when your the only 1 in the family past and present

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Leeroy1303

Hi I've been type 1 for twenty seven years and have 5 children however 4 months ago my eldest son was diagnosed with type 1 also. I was devastated and blamed myself but my son is coping really well and I'm so proud of him

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App