Can I take quadrivalent flu vaccine ?

bhushan7117

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am dm since 6 month, on ryzodec insulin, I have been exposed to suspected H1N1 influenza (swine flu). Before 2 month, I had flu and my insulin requirement increased from 14unit daily to 30unit daily.
I am worried wether to take vaccine or not. As it may increased my insulin requirement .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Most diabetics take the flu shot. Not sure if it makes insulin needs higher, but very sure actually getting the flu is much worse.

D

Deleted Account

The flu vaccination changes every year to attack different strains of flu.
As a result, the BG impact may vary year on year.

In the UK, it is strongly recommended that people with diabetes take the flu vaccination as it may make diabetes more difficult to manage (but, my understanding is that we are at no more risk) and, therefore, are provided it free of charge through the NHS.

I have taken advantage of this for the last 14 years on the basis that one or two days of potentially higher BG is better than a few weeks of full blown flu. Most years, I have seen no impact but there have been a couple when my BG has been raised a little for a couple of days.

Given the vaccination targets the most likely flu viruses each year, it is not fool proof - it is possible a flu virus may get through. But the risk is significantly reduced.

Reactions: bhushan7117

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To my understanding, most yearly flu vaccines are tailored to specific "predicted" strains?

I had a swine flu jab a good while back (when it was "in vogue.")
I've had no adverse effects from the inoculations.

I have however over the years contracted one or two bouts of flu. Though, I feel the jabs have helped me fight it off quicker.

Reactions: bhushan7117