Can I work for the NHS with badly controlled diabetes?

AmyLH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all :)
I've applied for a job as a healthcare assistant with the NHS, I used to work in a pharmacy and loved the nature of the job so want to progress in healthcare.
I've got an interview (woo) but.. it says this in my 'progress after interview' email...
Occupational Health Outstanding
  • Form Submitted
  • Clinic Booked
  • Awaiting Results
if they see that my hba1c is 11% (i luckily do not have any other problems except slight mild background retinopathy) will they judge me and not want to hire me?
I am slowly managing my diabetes, my hba1c is coming down slowly hoping when i next go to clinic its down to about 9. :D

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's always a tricky one. It probably depends on your work references and absence record as a result of your condition more than your hba1c. If they don't believe you can do the job due to this they don't have to make an offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Occupational health are just going to look at whether you can do the job (on your feet, heavy physical activity for a whole shift) safely (for you, your colleagues and your patients). They will want to look into whether you can keep your monitor, insulin & hypo treatments with you at work (there are plenty of type 1s working in hospitals so Im sure that won't be a problem), that you have good hypo awareness, that you don't have any complications which the work might make worse. & that you don't have a massive sickness absence record!

They certainly won't be judging your hba1c. It's not about being "an example" to patients - if that were the case no one who smoked would be allowed to work in the NHS - it's just about making sure you will be able to do the job safely.

And anyway, someone who is working hard at their job and working hard to improve their diabetes would be a good example to patients :)

Good luck - just be open and honest with occy health, it's opportunity for you to make sure the job won't hurt you too.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I've no idea...but I really hope the interview and thereafter goes well for you. :)

Diagnosed 13 April 16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, weight 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, waist 42").

2 June 16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 120/72, weight 11st 11lbs, waist 30" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, waist 42").

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile each day, weekly intermittent fasting.

Never give in, never give in, never never never given in...Winston Churchill.

Sent from my iPhone3 June16:

Sent from my iPhone

Longster29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Lovely to hear someone so enthusiastic about working in the NHS. I'm a nurse and type 1 and I've never really had any problems. Occupational Health don't usually ask what your HbA1c is, they want to be able to support you in the workplace so will help to make sure you have regular breaks etc. I have had some absence due to my diabetes but they have always been very understanding.

Just make sure your employer knows you need regular breaks and get into a habit of checking your blood sugar regularly...I keep a small meter and lucozade tablets in my uniform pocket which helps.

Best of luck!!

EllenRooney93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have type one and have worked as a healthcare assistant for the NHS and am currently a student nurse. I havent had any problems. Occupational health just wanted to know.of any adjustments that were needed. All the staff were really supportive and let me go on breaks whenever needed. I also carry my meter and sweets in my pockey incase.

Good luck with the interview :)