Can injuries cause a rise in BG ?

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, yet another question. My fasting blood sugars have been pretty good the last couple of weeks, the highest being 5. I haven’t tested for a few days as I badly sprained my ankle on Tuesday evening so have struggled to get about. This morning I have done my fasting test and it was 7.4, I quickly did 2 more, one was 6.5 and the other 5.3. I am on a keto diet at the moment - less than 20g carbs/day.

Jo123

In my experience no, I broke my ankle on Oct 1st and had my hba1c done at the end on November and it was 33.
I was pre diabetic in 2009 and have maintained normal blood glucose readings ever since then by low carbing. But this was lower than the last few normal readings. And I was doing no exercise.

Edited to add that if I ate 'normally' I would be diabetic, sadly my blood sugar goes up if I eat carbs despite having a bmi of around 19.5. So it's not a case of me being in remission.

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely for me any kind of illness or injury will push my BG up a little bit, your body is under stress from pain and healing etc. Even the struggle of getting about or not being so active can have an effect. keep on your keto plan and carry on what you’re doing and you should soon to see what are your normal numbers for you.

Hope your better soon - not much fun having a sprained ankle it’s so debilitating

• Agree
Reactions: MrsA2 and Outlier

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately lots of things can affect blood glucose levels in addition to what you eat ... for example infections, stress, injury, and physical activity. To what extent the physical injury affects blood glucose may be difficult to establish because other factors will also be affecting blood glucose.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
The list of things that can cause a rise in BG can be endless . Infections etc are all known reasons but things like stress , heat, cold can all have effects on blood glucose levels. Blood glucose levels vary naturally , I suppose the trick is trying to make sure they stay in an acceptable range, and believe me that is a trick worth learning

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your replies, it has reassured me. yesterday I may of overdone it with walking on it - it was painful last night afterwards and had to resort back to crutches, so maybe that is it. I will carry on with the keto and see how things pan out over next few weeks.

• Winner
Reactions: lovinglife and Pipp