Can NovoRapid and Levemir That's in Use Be Put Back in a Fridge?

sandra curtis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi cz-dave. CAN THE NOVO RAPID AND LEVEMIR BE PUT BACK IN THE FRIDGE AS I AM IN ITALY AND THE TEMPERATURE GETS ABOVE 30 DEGREES. I HAVE A FRIO WALLET BUT HAVEN'T USED IT YET. ? just seen your post but you probably have received many answers by now. I feel my reply will answer your question for all the newbies to this forum. Insulin that is in use should always never be put back in the fridge.It says so on the Outer box and in the patient leaflet in the box. This is sound advice from the insulin manufactures .You should use the FRIO Wallets after they have been immersed in water as per manufacturers instructions. Only unopened and unused insulin pens are stored in the fridge. The FRIO wallet needs to be put in the shade and away from direct sunlight.If you follow the FRIO wallets manufacturers instructions these wallets will last a very long time.Also it's a good idea to take these FRIO wallets out with you in such high temperatures.Dont put them right back inside a bag or briefcase as the wallets need air to aid there proper use.I travel a lot with these wallets and I have made a special bag out of old curtain netting to put over the FRIO wallet and this is securely fastened to the outside of my rucksack .These outer covers for the FRIO wallets can also be made by using the orange netting from the outside of pre packaged satsuma so/ oranges. If not available you can use an open bag made from a lightly woven cotton material. The answer is to let the FRIO breathe through evaporation as that's why they work.If you place your finger inside the 'primed' FRIO wallet your finger will feel only a little cooler than the surrounding air.This is a perfect temperature for keeping your in use insulin pen/pens in. A WORD OF WARNING. THE NEW FRIO WALLET MAY SHED SOME OF ITS DYE WHEN USED FOR THE FIRST FEW TIMES.SO PLEASE DONT PLACE THE IN USE WALLET ON A LIGHT FABRIC OR INDEED ANYWHERE WHERE THE DYE MAY COME OFF .EG. DONT PLACE ON A LIGHT TOWEL OR OTHER GARMENT OR A WORK SURFACE WHERE THE DYE MAY BE DETRIMENTAL OR PERMANENTLY DYE A SURFACE. This sounds complicated but believe you me it isn't.As I've had my wallets for at least 12 years and used them AROUND THE WORLD IN + 40 temperatures I've never had a problem.A good way to test your wallets to see how they work is to prime them as directed and then empty the water from the container or receptacle you initially used and observe what happens.If not needed you can leave the wallets to dry out completely I hope this helps everyone whom needs to know.