Can people explain how they feel during hi's and lo's?

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mmmm all the above are common, however, what was intersting was the levels. We had a diabetic doctor who was always low, 2.5-5.5 and not diabetic, she accepted that some normals were about 7 but other doctors have jumped up and down about this. Certainly I feel at my best at about 5-8, lower I am very lethargic, and above have the tiredness etc. that gets bad at about 10-12.
If I go below about 4 then its similar to being fluey, wife hates that as I so ameniable, (NOT)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
rinfrance said:
Mmmm all the above are common, however, what was intersting was the levels. We had a diabetic doctor who was always low, 2.5-5.5 and not diabetic, she accepted that some normals were about 7 but other doctors have jumped up and down about this. Certainly I feel at my best at about 5-8, lower I am very lethargic, and above have the tiredness etc. that gets bad at about 10-12.
If I go below about 4 then its similar to being fluey, wife hates that as I so ameniable, (NOT)

I feel OK at around 6-7. Any lower and I feel YUK! So I'm happy with 7 on my meter.

Geeg99

Highs

Felling Tired, eyes watery, urine a lot more, restless, usually this is with readings around 15

Lows

Hunger, confused, cannot concentrate & sweaty. I go very pale in the face whick my wife always notices, luckily I aiways wake up with low sugars, usually sugars have to be below 4

lmack60815

I can tell when my levels are 10 or over. I get aggressive..little things will annoy me greatly and i will shout at people easily. I also find that i want to go to sleep for a bit too. When under 3.5 i shake light headed..struggle to talk without my teeth chattering a little. Hope that helps :)

Tarwaddilo

Hi, just wondered if anyone could help, I find it really hard to wake in the mornings and I always have blurred vision and a headache. Does this mean I'm high or low. I'm a very new type 2 and I'm due to visit my dn on Thursday for my first visit. Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Highs
Fir me I go majorly hyper to the point of scareing people lol

Low's
I go all light headed, confused that kind of thing, I'm lucky I still know when im going into a hyper. My sister now knows the warning signs as I was stsying at hers one night and went low, my sister wss like what the hell as she said I was acting like I was drunk but hadn't hsd a drop of alcohol lol.

Kelly :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

stevie667

I feel tired but I honestly don't know the difference, never brought up on my X-Pert course, really not sure if there is anything specific.

karen13

never had a low reading , always high . so thirsty ,peeing loads, not sleeping , headache , hungry , and feel shakey in morning
:( :(

malibu0509

Hypos - hot, clammy very shaky, palpitations, slurred words, can't think straight and sometimes feel like I will faint. On the odd time I have blacked out briefly which is very scary!

Hyper- loss of appetite just want to drink ice cold drinks, faint headache and tired. If very high kidney pain.

andywright

Lows in daytime Get very bad tempered(been told I'm normally very chilled out) tooth ache and unable to concintrate. Lows at night, Awful nightmares that don't Stop when I wake up until sugar reaches normal levels again. Although this has got better as I've got older. Highs like most people is Tiredness and dry mouth.

fluffy2560

I'm a type 2 on Metformin. Highs are hard to really notice but lows soon become recognisable if pushed to their limits.

High: seem to get irritable and short tempered

Low: Usually if I miss eating I can time the onset of the low almost to the minute. Low seems to be around 4.5 before the symptoms kick in. I don't always recognise what is happening. I get incredibly tired, like a vampire has sucked all of my energy out or I have flat batteries. I then start falling asleep, get brain fog, find I need to concentrate very hard to force myself to move. By this time, I've started shaking and I then know what's going on. I don't really get hunger pangs so I know now to try and get some nosh inside of me. I can also have say, slice of toast with marmite or two small biscuits or some sultanas or handful of grapes. After 10 mins, I'm usually back to almost normal again. Lows seems to have a residual effect on my energy levels (I feel exhausted) until the next day.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Greetings. Been type 1 diabetic for over 50 years and the best ican describe the low's are confused and at times hyper active as for the hi's struggling for breath and fast heartbeat. I appreciate this isn't the same for everyone, but this is it for me. However now on insulin pump my life has totally changed for the better. Hypos haven't completely gone but certainly improved. Hope this helps.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Trina said:
Greetings. Been type 1 diabetic for over 50 years and the best ican describe the low's are confused and at times hyper active as for the hi's struggling for breath and fast heartbeat. I appreciate this isn't the same for everyone, but this is it for me. However now on insulin pump my life has totally changed for the better. Hypos haven't completely gone but certainly improved. Hope this helps.

I found your post really interesting, about struggling for breath and fast heartbeat when you're high. Before I was diagnosed I was at the point where I couldn't walk at all without two sticks because I was so breathless and constantly wheezing. I also had a fast heartbeat, above normal temperature which the doctors couldn't understand and blood tests showed, not diabetes, but an 'inflammation going on somewhere' but they couldn't specify where. I'd been diagnosed with asthma, gastritis, Meniere's, IBS, all in one month and none of it was getting any better with treatment. I then had a 10 month episode of chronoic urticaria, angeoedema and anaphylaxis which nearly finished me - THEN suddenly they found I was T2. Within a month of being put on Metformin and changing to LCHF diet, the 'asthma' had disappeared, the gastritis was much less painful, the IBS gone.

We only ever hear about 'needing the loo a lot' and 'drinking a lot' as symptoms of diabetes but we don't hear that we can become breathless and suffer organ damage long BEFORE diagnosis. I wonder why that is?

Lucyturner

When I hypo I tend to feel very light headed and shaky. When I hypo I feel very tired, very thirsty and need to wee all the time. I can be up 3 or 4 times in the night sometimes to go for a wee and have to have a drink as well.

Lucy

Stormylady

My lowest reading when I've been in a position to test was 2.3. I get very light headed, feeling sick, but ravenously hungry, shaking, spaced out, cannot concentrate, very tetchy. Everything feel's like lead weight's. Afterwards it leaves me with extreme fatigue, and a migraine type headache. After eating, I often have to sleep before I will really feel better.

Never really had anything too high, because as soon as bs starts climbing, my eyes begin to hurt, like I have sand in them, so I know to stop what ever I'm eating.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Hypos - I feel washed out, panicky, shaky, vague and in another world like a shaman or psychic medium. I go into myself and dont want interference, even from those who want to help.

When I have high blood sugar I feel very energetic, boisterous, quick to anger and annoyed at the slowness of others, I lose my temper and patience quickly, everything feels zoom,zoom, zoom.

Hope this helps and good luck with your photography degree. :)