Can Someone explain Fasting Glucose Representative Period for me?

yellowknifer

I am curious, What period is represented by the Fasting Glucose in terms of time frame. Akin to a1c representing about 3 months past.

If I do a major diet change from high carb to low carb in very short time frame (days), when would fasting glucose reflect this?

tx.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
In my experience fasting glucose takes a while to come back down, usually we refer to the fasting number as your number when you've just woken up and the liver has done a glucose dump which can vary depending on how long you've slept. Typically it's 8 hours or so.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@yellowknifer - Do you mean what is a fasting glucose reading, or if I have a fasting reading of x, what will my HbA1c be?

A fasting glucose reading is just a snapshot in time, illustrating your blood glucose reading at the moment, after you have fasted for a period, usually overnight.

Reactions: Shas3

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am curious, What period is represented by the Fasting Glucose in terms of time frame. Akin to a1c representing about 3 months past.

If I do a major diet change from high carb to low carb in very short time frame (days), when would fasting glucose reflect this?

tx.

Fasting glucose actually measures how insulin resistant our liver is. If our liver has become insulin resistant, the background insulin that is produced during the fasting period is unable to stop the release of glycogen from the liver and results in higher glucose levels.

For those of us who have been diagnosed with T2D, it could take days or months of low carbs/intermittent fasting before our fasting glucose reach a normal non-diabetic level of < 5.0 mmol/L.

So if you go on a low carb diet or fast only for a couple of days, your glucose may be good all day < 6.0mmol...but fasting glucose may still be high.

Reactions: Shas3