Can someone help please?

sillysausage

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone help please ?

Depression gets everyone to varying degrees I guess, but due to a car crash 8yrs ago (not my fault) hospital found kidney prob', (Nephrotic Syndrome) then diabetic (2014-Insulin Dependent) & recently Warfarin for the DVT....among a plethora of other med's.!
A hospital stay necessitates monitoring the Warfarin via drip instead of daily tablets - hence hospitalisation for a week !!!!!!
Consultant says another biopsy would tells us where we go with the kidney treatment.
I don;t know whether to burst into tears or scream out loud.......any ideas please.

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi @sillysausage (love the name!), you sound like you're really going through it at the moment. Havnt got any practical advice (yet!) but just wanted to say we are around, and there are quite a few people here who will understand what you are going through. And as someone who also has complex heath needs, I can relate to that 'for gods sake leave me alone' feeling when yet another test/procedure is suggested - I recently asked my doctor if it was actually worth me going home at all!! Cyber hug, Sue xxx

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It can be overwhelming, sometimes, and i have FAR less reason to feel overwhelmed than you do.

My consolation, when things get on top of me, is the phrase 'this too shall pass'.
I don't think of it in a religious context, but in a practical one.

And i see it as a positive thing. Although i can see how it could be seen negatively, i just love the idea that everything ebbs and flows, and works in spirals and cycles. I find it reassuring.

I hope that makes sense to you. It does to me.

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Just wanted to say, I can relate to how you feel. Hang in there. Hugs.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
If you have diabetes — either type 1 or type 2 — you have an increased risk of developing depression. And if you're depressed, you may have a greater chance of developing type 2 diabetes. The good news is that diabetes and depression can be treated together. And effectively managing one can have a positive effect on the other.

How they're related

Though the relationship between diabetes and depression isn't fully understood:

The rigors of managing diabetes can be stressful and lead to symptoms of depression.

Diabetes can cause complications and health problems that may worsen symptoms of depression.

Depression can lead to poor lifestyle decisions, such as unhealthy eating, less exercise, smoking and weight gain — all of which are risk factors for diabetes.

Depression affects your ability to perform tasks, communicate and think clearly. This can interfere with your ability to successfully manage diabetes.

Managing the two conditions together

Diabetes self–management programs. Diabetes programs that focus on behavior have been successful in helping people improve their metabolic control, increase fitness levels, and manage weight loss and other cardiovascular disease risk factors. They can also help improve your sense of well-being and quality of life.

Psychotherapy. Similarly, participants in psychotherapy, particularly cognitive behavioral therapy, have reported improvements in depression, which has resulted in better diabetes management.

Medications and lifestyle changes. Medications — for both diabetes and depression — and lifestyle changes, including different types of therapy coupled with regular exercise, can improve both conditions.

Collaborative care. New research shows that treatment supervised by a nurse case manager that steps up therapy when needed helps improve both depression and diabetes. This type of care may not be available in most health care systems.

If you have diabetes, watch for signs and symptoms of depression, such as loss of interest in normal activities, feelings of sadness or hopelessness, and unexplained physical problems like back pain or headaches.

If you think you might be depressed, seek help right away. Your doctor or diabetes educator can refer you to a mental health professional.

Reactions: 4 people

cazzz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just wondering (newbie 8 weeks T-2) you mentioned unexplained .... and headaches.. which is what I have right now.
BS level 8.0 which is good for me at moment but head feels like it wants to explode and splatter .
Just took BP level 160/90 which is very high for me as it is normally 127/76 . I have noticed the days my BS levels are lower BP is going high.
I never feel thirsty ever, never have I have to make myself drink
Any thoughts?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I just wondering (newbie 8 weeks T-2) you mentioned unexplained .... and headaches.. which is what I have right now.
BS level 8.0 which is good for me at moment but head feels like it wants to explode and splatter .
Just took BP level 160/90 which is very high for me as it is normally 127/76 . I have noticed the days my BS levels are lower BP is going high.
I never feel thirsty ever, never have I have to make myself drink
Any thoughts?
Have you had your BP checked by a doctor, eg 24 hour testing? It ideally needs to be under 130/80 as much of the time as possible, to prevent kidney damage and reduce the risk of stroke. IMO it's just as important as blood sugar levels.

cazzz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you had your BP checked by a doctor, eg 24 hour testing? It ideally needs to be under 130/80 as much of the time as possible, to prevent kidney damage and reduce the risk of stroke. IMO it's just as important as blood sugar levels.

Thank you, I check my BP weekly and note in a diary like I do with BS and diet as I am trying to see what makes my levels go high or lower . I have just changed Doctors so going through all testing again. 1st Doctor refused to give me tests results so I walked.

It just seemed strange that the BP was so high day before 127/76 today similar .
I do have a very stressful life, full time carer for a person with PTSD I used yoga to bring the level down.

I really struggle remembering to drink water or anything l have been like that since a child so I leave jugs of water on the bench bottles in the car.
I have been concerned about a stroke as prior to finding I was diabetic I got out of bed one morning had lost my sense of balance, the right side of my head felt 'odd' That was dismissed by the 1st Doctor.I always have had a good sense of balance and sense of direction..that is not as good.

cazzz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you had your BP checked by a doctor, eg 24-hour testing? It ideally needs to be under 130/80 as much of the time as possible, to prevent kidney damage and reduce the risk of stroke. IMO it's just as important as blood sugar levels.

Can not believe it has been 2 years.
I had a doctor who placed me on a 24-hour monitor to read my BP we discovered I White Coat big time I now average 115/66 I take my Blood pressure daily same time.
That Doctor moved, unfortunately, the next doctor has pumped me full of High-Pressure tables leaving me with many massive headaches, dizziness unable to cope may as well be dead. Actually one of the medications brought on massive suicide feelings which were not normal for me. I have had horrendous side effects from taking Forxiga so bad I need to write in detail to the company advice given by medical personnel.
I have just changed Doctors again, I gave her all the side effects of medications given and I will be seeing her tomorrow to start a new. Drink fluids still an issue as I still don't get thirsty hence I need to have water bottles around.