• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Can something taken 12 hours before can influence sugar level

Kaha

Well-Known Member
Messages
214
Location
Canada
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I had taken half plate of egg noodles at about 7PM last night that was not my dinner but snack prior to dinner . Had my dinner after 2-3 hours later.
This morning my fasting sugar at 8-00 AM was 7.0 (usually mine is less than seven in the morning) . I know other factors those could affect the fasting sugar readings . I want to exclude the influence of some noodles taken 12 hours before on my todays fasting sugar level. Can anybody advise?
 
What is likely is that the noodles (plus whatever else you ate for dinner) pushed your BS up a few hours after dinner (we have seen curry with rice cause increase 5-6 hours post eating) and as a result, you didn't return to a normal level at the time you normally test due to the later increase than normal.

Hence why you need to test regularly post meals to determine how different foods really impact your BS.
 
I understand very well what you are saying . Other factors in this particular case like supper menu and time , sleeping hours,dawn phenomenon etc all remained constant /same. I wanted to understand /get feedback on whether the intake of that portion of Noodles alone could impact my fasting sugar level
 
I understand very well what you are saying . Other factors in this particular case like supper menu and time , sleeping hours,dawn phenomenon etc all remained constant /same. I wanted to understand /get feedback on whether the intake of that portion of Noodles alone could impact my fasting sugar level
The answer will always be "It Depends". If you are T2 and not using any insulin or using a longer acting insulin, what you do by eating the noodles is increase your glucose relative to a standard amount of insulin in your system.

The insulin will only bring your BS down by a reasonably fixed amount, so by increasing your BS with the noodles you will start with a higher BS and the insulin will lower your BS by the same amount, but relatively the spot check will be higher. So, yes they could have made the difference. As I mentioned though, what else you eat could change the duration of that peak, therefore affecting the rate at which the BS drops.
 
I had taken half plate of egg noodles at about 7PM last night that was not my dinner but snack prior to dinner . Had my dinner after 2-3 hours later.
This morning my fasting sugar at 8-00 AM was 7.0 (usually mine is less than seven in the morning) . I know other factors those could affect the fasting sugar readings . I want to exclude the influence of some noodles taken 12 hours before on my todays fasting sugar level. Can anybody advise?
I dont think the food you have taken 12 hours before will influence your fasting BS unless it is digesting very slowly. However noodles is not a good choice for diabetic.
 
I had taken half plate of egg noodles at about 7PM last night that was not my dinner but snack prior to dinner . Had my dinner after 2-3 hours later.
This morning my fasting sugar at 8-00 AM was 7.0 (usually mine is less than seven in the morning) . I know other factors those could affect the fasting sugar readings . I want to exclude the influence of some noodles taken 12 hours before on my todays fasting sugar level. Can anybody advise?

Do you count and record the carbohydrates you eat during the day?. This involves weighing out your food so that you know how much of "what" you are eating. The answer to your question may well be specific to you and the detective work can only be done properly if you record ALL the details of your food intake.
 
Back
Top