Can the insulin pen be improved??

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the meantime, Sophia, to replace a velcro sealed pen, you could use a pencil case (zipped) - cheap, discrete or colourful according to taste, plenty of room for spare cartridge, needles etc.

goji

I really want a pen that records when the last dose was given and how much was given. I am very forgetful and sometimes I can't remember whether or not I took my nighttime dose of insulin. If you could incorporate a little digital screen, that would be very helpful.

If I didn't take it then I will feel rough for the next 24 hours and if I retake it and mistakenly double dose, I will be in serious trouble with hypoglycemia.

Apparently there used to be a pen that had these features but I don't know if anybody in the UK ever had one.

As someone else said, wifi connectivity to your glucose monitoring software would also be helpful so you could download dosages and chart their effect on your Blood sugar.

Cazz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You may be thinking of the Humapen Memoir which had a little LCD screen and recorded the time, date and last 16 dosages taken. The technology is obviously there but it's probably down to cost. Like you mention, it would be good for when you forget if you've injected. Or how about a pen with an alarm which beeps at a pre-set time?

goji

Cazz said:
You may be thinking of the Humapen Memoir which had a little LCD screen and recorded the time, date and last 16 dosages taken.

Yes that's the pen. It seems it is on sale in the US.
http://www.medscape.com/infosite/humalog/article-3

But it only works for Ei Lilly cartidges.
http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blog ... apting-the

I think the design is a bit naff so if you could come up with something a bit more modern that has a memory feature and works with NovoNordisk cartridges and does half doses, then I'd be happy! :D

annettekp

Hi

Jen's ideas are good! A pen that you can use with one hand while holding your child's hands out of the way with the other, would be great! The shorter it is the less of it there is for a little person to grab.

We do have 2 different coloured pens, that can be set in half unit doses and they both use 5mm needles.

Annette

joelcam

I'd like a pen where the needle just clicked back off instead of having to unscrew it...would be easier to just inject and then click it off into the sharps bin..

Not really an issue but less chance of pricking yourself..

Also I find that sometimes I press too hard so some way of limiting the depth the needle can be shoved in would be good....as would a pen that kept the insulin at the right temperature...

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another thought, it would be useful to have a date function in the pen so that we can note when the insulin cartridge was inserted. The insulin we'll be using at school will last longer than a month, it is recommended that the insulin be replaced after a month so would be useful to be able to record in some way on the pen when the cartridge was inserted and when it will be due for replacing.

heypapatooni

I WAS using a novorapid disposeable pen, totally useless design, you can get the needle on without its protective cover, then put the pen lid back on, but usually find that in a pocket or bag, the lid has come off and the needle is bent!
The lid will not fit over the needle protective cover!
I mentioned this ti my nurse aND SHE SAID IT WAS DELIBERATE, SO THAT YOU DIDN'T USE THE NEEDLE MORE THAN ONCE! HOW STUPID! YOU CAN'T EVEN RELY ON USING IT ONCE AND MUST CARRY AROUND THE NEEDLES SEPARATLEY! WHATS THE POINT?
So if I'm popping out for lunch, I can't just load it up and put it in my pocket!
I'm now on a autopen, the downside is the dose goes up in 2's!!!!! so I have to have 2 or 4 units when I would prefer 3! Also in dark I can't see the difference between my two insulins!
The lids seem to fit a little better, so I can put my needle on ready!
Blood tester kita are also flawed, there being nowhere to put used needles/test strips!
I have the latest accucheck compact, pricker and strips are self contained! Brilliant! but I keep a spare strip metal pot to put in the used finger prickers and test strips, in an old test kit bag, the new one is too small!
THE COMPANIES PRODUCING THESE THINGS DON'T THINK OF THE DAILY USE THAT PEOPLE HAVE TO GO THROUGH! I USE A PENCIL CASE TO CARRY AROUND MY VIALS, PENS, SYRINGES AND NEEDLES, AND MY TEST KITS AS WELL! I'M FEMALE AND USUALLY HAVE A BAG, BUT IT MUST BE A NIGHTMARE FOR BLOKES! :lol:

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
a non disposable pen (ie catridge) that could be refilled (environmentally friednly), rewound if over wound/accidental,potential 1/2 unit accuracy, with accurate remaining dose measurement, with large visible numbers (slight magnifying piece over the numbers for the bad-eyed, easy to twist (for old/people with bad hands) and available in different colours would be all I'd ask :)

Jenni_1984

Jen&Khaleb said:
I find that the current pens have a design more suitable for self-use and as a parent it isn't so great. I'd like a pen that you didn't have to change grip from inserting the needle to pushing the plunger. Another silly adaption would be to put a set of pincers on the end to squeeze up the skin so you can inject with one hand. I think I'd like the pen to be shorter/fatter also and have a wind down cap rather than the seperate lid. My pens are not disposable.

I think a smaller pen would be a great idea. It was only when I read this that I thought how awkward it can be to change grip sometimes - and that's me injecting myself. Rather than a plunger how about a button on the side so you don't need to put the needle in and then move your hand up.

I use disposable pens and a non-disposable one. My non disposable is for my lantus at night - opticlick. It's really chunky and too long. I think if pens could be smaller it would help with having to cart them about and these days environmental issues are a huge concern so definitely non-disposable.

I am a right sucker for gadgets and things in funky colours - I would like it if my pens were a bit more interesting - I know this wont appeal to everyone due to not being discreet. I got excited when my opti-click replacement was white and light blue, rather than boring navy - I am a bit sad that way and very easily pleased.

I would also love a 'kit' bag - specifically designed to hold all the things I need. I've never been able to find one. I am quite bad for forgetting different bits and pieces so this would help.

Jenni

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Jenni_1984 said:
I am a right sucker for gadgets and things in funky colours - I would like it if my pens were a bit more interesting - I know this wont appeal to everyone due to not being discreet. I got excited when my opti-click replacement was white and light blue, rather than boring navy - I am a bit sad that way and very easily pleased.

I got excited when I found the backlight on my new meter glowed orange instead of the old blue :lol:

hismom

a pen that records what time and what dose you used. I also agree about the half or maybe even quarter units too.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Oh yes it can.I would like a short strong stubby pen in a choice of colours with accurate dosing and defo a readout for prior tests ie time and dose

aharvey

I would like to thank you all for your input throughout my project.
below is a link so you can have an insight on what my new insulin device looks like etc.
It would be much appricated if u could leave your views and thoughts for one last time.
once again thank you for all you help!

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57 ... banner.jpg

You may need to zoom in to be able to read it.

thanks a lot A Harvey

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
This would suit my needs as a parent with a young child very well.

You might need to fix the typo in the word 'function' that is spelt incorrectly.

jopar

aharvey

I've just looked at your design, and found it very interesting indeed, well thought out for different diabetics needs.. The display is easy to read and injecting at a touch of a botton is very handy..

Good luck, and I hope that you can take this further indeed, it's very refreshing to see a new concept to the insulin pen..

Jo