Can the rise of T2 Diabetes be termed an Epidemic.

M

Member496333

I did read an article a couple of years ago (when I still bothered to read articles about this) that based on "research" it was estimated that a majority of Americans had hyperinsulinemia.

I can't remember where I read it.

I recall @bulkbiker cited a figure of ~80% just recently.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I did read an article a couple of years ago (when I still bothered to read articles about this) that based on "research" it was estimated that a majority of Americans had hyperinsulinemia.

I can't remember where I read it.

It may have been Ivor (I'm not sure) who cited a figure as low as 12% of N.American population who are not on the spectrum. With the news of children in the US being diagnosed with fatty liver and the jaw dropping news of a child of two and a half years old being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes then this figure looks somewhat right.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the use of the word “epidemic”. From Diet Doctor:

“Could applying engineering problem solving to heart disease be the key to reverse the epidemic that medical professionals haven’t been able to solve? It’s an interesting idea that gets to the root of the problem (instead of just managing symptoms).

Listen to this talk by Ivor Cummins, where he offers an alternative way of approaching the treatment of heart disease.”

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
OK .. I took the +50 US percentage to be confined to T1s, T2s. LADA (and variants) plus pre diabetics. If it was that group alone, it would be so out of whack with every other country on earth, it'd stretch credulity.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the term epidemic and T2 diabetes. Attributed to David Unwin:

“Like GPs across the country, I’ve witnessed this epidemic in my own Southport practice with alarm. Just after I joined the surgery in 1986, there were only 57 patients with type 2 diabetes — and none was under the age of 50”

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I listened to Ivor Cummins presentation from KetoCon 2018 this morning. As I recall, he said 68% of Americans age 45 and older now have diabetes or pre-diabetes. He's getting that number from the CDC. Most Americans do not understand how damaging processed foods are. Fructose and omega-6 seed oils are in almost all processed foods here. I have to shop at our local food co-op to buy mayonnaise, marinara sauce, etc. to find healthy processed foods. And sadly, as Americans are beginning to buy less of these unhealthy foods, the big food corporations are ramping up there efforts in other countries. Not good.

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops, my bad. Am listening to Ivor's lecture again. Only 65%, not 68%, of Americans age 45 and older have diabetes or pre-diabetes now. Minute 16:56...

[Edited to add]: At the bottom of Ivor's slide "Data Source: 2011 - 2014 National Health & Nutrition Examination Survey and 2015 U.S. Census Bureau"

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The term epidemic as applied to diabetes. From this website:

“Dr Unwin opines that the obesity and diabetes epidemics are mostly due to diet, not genetics, and that we can fight against poor health rather than just accepting it. Astoundingly, 50% of Dr Unwin’s research cohort have achieved remission of their type 2 diabetes, without drugs, at an average of 21 months.”

So to be fair to the media and anyone else, this term is being used liberally by the very best.

Reactions: Winnie53