Can u advise please?

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I was put on the list for a insulin pump back in April/may and i recieved a phonecall last week from my diabetic consultants secretary asking me to go for a appointment on 23rd July at the local hospital regarding my pump. I was asked what colour pump i wanted along with a few other questions and then told that the appointment will take 3 hours. I then recieved a letter from my consultant on monday confirming my appointment and telling me that my pump will be delivered to my home and to bring it with me along with all its contents to the appointment.(still haven't recieved it)

Surely 3 hours is not enough time to train someone with a insulin pump, I thought it was a 3/4 day course. Would anyone know what this appointment is for is it just to explain how it works?

Any advise would be apprieciated.

Clorinda

I would say 3/4 hours is sufficient to get you up and running, but that you would need telephone support from Diabetic nurses should you need it for things like changing your basal rates etc or say you've forgotten how to do something.

They come with very good manuals on how to use them. I was ok with using them, but found the set change hardest (mainly loading the insulin etc) but after 4 weeks, it's fine and I'm not nervous.

To be honest, I think it's better to learn as you go. 3/4 hours is all I had for my son's pump and it was enough to start with. Any more and I think it would have gone in one ear, out the other!

Clorinda

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that yes i suppose you are right it would be like overload if they explained every detail over a couple of days, the best way to learn is to teach yourself and read up on things. I am a little nervous about having it to be honest because i have just been on injections for 27 years this is gonna be something new.

Tracey167

Clorinda

Well I went from the friday being told my son has type 1 to the Tuesday going home with him and the pump and not knowing his insulin levels, only having one go at set changes and knowing very little about diabetes. The training session was helpful, but the support after was better....

You'll be fine. You can always do injections if need be.

I found the first 2 weeks were nerve-wracking but then it gets much easier.

Let us know how you get on!

iHs

Hello Tracey

Dont worry about getting yourself up and running on the pump. It will all come to you as you go along. The Medtronic Veo is very easy to follow (if that is the one you are getting?)

Your dsn will want to have a look at the amount of insulin you use on MDI and start you off on your pump using 25% less. 50% will be on your basal over 24hrs and 50% on your bolus. These will be what you start off with. My basal was worked out on 0.5u per hr and my insulin to carb ratio worked out on 1u:20g carb. After a few days of going a bit up and needing to do a correction, I then started to modify my insulin to carb ratios myself by reading the manual and doing bg tests every 3hrs.

I've had my pump for nearly a month now but it seems as though I've had it for ages. I just shove it inside my bra cup when I go out and use the remote to give myself some insulin. I have the Combo.

You will be amazed on the difference using a pump can make. I now dont go to bed until about 11.30pm whereas on MDI I was knackered by 9.30pm. I have also lost a small amount of weight as well which is good.

Look at http://www.infusion-set.com/index.asp?pageid=H2287 to see what set you will be using and just follow the step-by-step visual guide link.

Enjoy :) :)

mary123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi - I have been on my pump for nine weeks now and I had a similar start to the one you are going to have. My chosen pump was delivered to my home beforehand along with the manufacturer's instruction book plus an exercise book (that arrived a few days prior to that). I was able to go right through the instruction book, have a play with the pump (unconnected of course) so that when I went for my hospital appointment I was able to make the most of my appointment and ask as many questions as I needed. The rep was also present along with the diabetic nurse. I'm sure they wont let you leave until they are satisfied you know what you are doing. Then, you just learn as you go along. Like iHs I clip my pump to my bra; very discreet. Great! Good luck! :D

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Thanks for all your advise i will keep you posted on how it goes.

Tracey167

jopar

HI Tracey

Different Clinic do start the pumpers off in different manner..

Has your DN told you to change your background insulin before you appointment?

If she hasn't then it's likely that your clinic will start you off on the pump using saline at first, most liekly for a week, you carry on with your MDI injection as well as work the insulin pump.. Then on your next appointment you will be told how to adjust the background insulin, if you are on one injection at night, you probably be told to reduce this by half.. If you split your dose you are likely to be told to take the nights before, but not the morning...

I would invest in a book called Pumping Insulin by John Walsh... It's known as the pumpers bible