Can vaping be negitive for diabetes?

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I've searched this in the forum and not found any thing about this - mostly it's read that switching to vape insted of tobacco is a health benifit - I'm sure in many ways that it is.

After recently finding out nicotine ( by its self) has a negitive impact on blood glucose it got me thinking....

Over 3 months my hba1c level went up quite a bit - 5 points, while my diet has never been good it didint change over that time and I didint expect that jump- what did change though is I completely stopped smoking tobacco and went to e cigarettes for that whole test period-the 3 months prior was a partial use and I was only slightly over normal readings - the 3 months prior to that was no e cigarettes and a faily normal glocose reading! Prior to that blood glucose is never even been a discussion I've had to have with my doctor.

I found I used the highest level nicotine liquid and because it was so accessible I likely used it allot more than I would normally smoke conventional cigarettes.

Without any diet/life changes I've gone up about 8 points from 41 to 49 over basicly 6 months- noticeable difference since full time using e-ciggarettes.

I might be way off track and could be purely coincidence but can't help thinking that the extra nicotine may have had some impact- I did notice when used e-ciggarettes allot I got heart burn so it's obiously had some effect on my body.

I find it interesting because e-ciggarette use and higher readings would go together like train tracks on a graph, if it is the case it's dissapointing because at the time I believed making the switch was a positive one - now I'm not so sure so I'm attempting to kick both completely just in case.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No body knows as not enough research on vapes. About good health or longterm health dangers.

If your stressed and you drink some wine you know what you're getting but vapes, no body knows.

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I guess I feel it should be something that is known, considering- the ministry of health here (nz) now suggests that they have minimal risk and could be recommended to help cease tobacco use.

Every one knows smoking and nicotine is not good that's not in dispute at all - it's more about if unintended nicotine increase from smoking to e-ciggarettes is a risk of increased bg I guess.

Put it this way - if it was pushed to me to give up smoking and the result by unintended nicotine increase was diabetes I wouldint feel it particularly had a positive effect on my health.

I don't have a meter or would try some experiments out

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Being a smoker and having failed to give up by switching from tobacco to vaping I had all but given up even trying to give up but on a recent post I saw mention of a drug called Champix which has seen some good results. I intend asking my GP about it. Apparently, the Smoking Cessation Courses offered at GPs Practices offer it. If you wish to stop using nicotine perhaps you may be one of the growing number who manages it using this drug. Good luck.

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi guzzler-gosh you get around this forum don't you .

I've tried champix-worked for a time and feel it was a good aid to giving up - stupidity relapsed after the fact though. Here in NZ we can only be prescribed it one time a year, but when that year comes around soon if still not given up I'll be definitely on to it again.

I guess now since it's after the fact I'm not really looking for this to be a quit smoking discussion rather a discussion of pre warning that e-ciggarettes (that are promoted as a relitivly safe alternative, here at least in nz) could have this effect if doseage of nicotine is unintendedly increased- except I don't actully know what impact extra nicotine has on bg

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi guzzler-gosh you get around this forum don't you .

I've tried champix-worked for a time and feel it was a good aid to giving up - stupidity relapsed after the fact though. Here in NZ we can only be prescribed it one time a year, but when that year comes around soon if still not given up I'll be definitely on to it again.

I guess now since it's after the fact I'm not really looking for this to be a quit smoking discussion rather a discussion of pre warning that e-ciggarettes (that are promoted as a relitivly safe alternative, here at least in nz) could have this effect if doseage of nicotine is unintendedly increased- except I don't actully know what impact extra nicotine has on bg

I don't know if this has a bearing on this discussion but I used to chew nicotine gum. Since stopping my blood pressure has dropped that is technically I'm healthier. ...