1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can you ask DSN for control solution ?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by eddie1968, May 3, 2016.

1. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Never really thought of this but I got a new meter from my DSN 3 months ago and noticed bizarre readings lately which I couldn't really put my finger on (like increased carb intake/extra exercise etc).

I did a test with my old meter and found readings differed by +/- 3.5 mmol/l on 18 out of 20 tests using both meters at the same time.

As I get free meters and strips etc as I am on insulin can I ask for a control solution from the NHS from my DSN to calibrate this meter to see if it's faulty or should I just ask for a replacement ?

Ta.
    Edward

• Like Like x 2
  2. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As a self funder I cannot answer the question, but depending on the meter, many manufacturers will provide control solution free of charge to you if you register the meter with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. June_C

June_C Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

My DSN was happy to give me some control solution.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook