1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can you do a glucose tolerance test at home?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Mollyc1995, May 27, 2019.

1. Mollyc1995

Mollyc1995 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh I see, I will look into this as it’s something I’d like to have tested

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

The usual reason - cost. An OGTT takes a minimum of 2 hours and requires nurse time to do the finger pricks and administer the drinks. They also have to be fasting, so early morning appointments are necessary, which makes it harder to fit appointments in.

Rather than an OGTT it would be more sensible to do an insulin test on all T2s, and certainly before they are given meds like Gliclazide or insulin. (which can make matters considerable worse if the pancreatic insulin is already high) But .... it doesn't happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Seems to me that wearing a Libre sensor would be an easier way of monitoring the OGTT tests...

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. resander

resander Type 2 · Active Member

Preparation for the OGTT test includes an intake of 125-150g carbs per day for three days.

I have been on keto-diet for about 6 weeks with a daily carb intake of less than 20g. Is there a high risk I will fall out of ketosis if I eat like that for three days?

#24 resander, Jun 2, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook