Can you do a glucose tolerance test at home?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're right, of course. It makes perfect sense. I was just trying to justify why a GP wouldn't order a glucose tolerance test on a normalised HbA1c diabetic. If what you say is true, then maybe they should.

The usual reason - cost. An OGTT takes a minimum of 2 hours and requires nurse time to do the finger pricks and administer the drinks. They also have to be fasting, so early morning appointments are necessary, which makes it harder to fit appointments in.

Rather than an OGTT it would be more sensible to do an insulin test on all T2s, and certainly before they are given meds like Gliclazide or insulin. (which can make matters considerable worse if the pancreatic insulin is already high) But .... it doesn't happen.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems to me that wearing a Libre sensor would be an easier way of monitoring the OGTT tests...

Robbity

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Preparation for the OGTT test includes an intake of 125-150g carbs per day for three days.

I have been on keto-diet for about 6 weeks with a daily carb intake of less than 20g. Is there a high risk I will fall out of ketosis if I eat like that for three days?

Last edited:

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Answering my own question 8 months later:

Yes, I almost certainly would drop out of ketosis.