JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I know my red blood cells are enlarged I have low folate and my leukocytes are close to zero at 0.2 what I don't know is how all that may affect my HbA1c so do not think I could rely on the test to tell me anything reliable at the moment.

Reactions: jjraak

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all the comments on this thread. My Hba1c came out at 36 ( which approximates to average bs of 6). In the last six months I have only been in the sixes twice ,according to my records, and my average bs is about 5. I have started additional testing at random times to see if I can catch a spike but so far nothing. On MySugr, it gives me an estimated Hba1c of 28.3. So frustrating.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all your replies.
I spoke to my DN today and told her if my concerns, she has requested a fructosamine test for my next review.
It’s a start. In the meantime I may splash out on medichecks for comparison.
Does anyone know how hard or easy it is to extract a blood sample for Medichecks?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all your replies.
I spoke to my DN today and told her if my concerns, she has requested a fructosamine test for my next review.
It’s a start. In the meantime I may splash out on medichecks for comparison.
Does anyone know how hard or easy it is to extract a blood sample for Medichecks?

You may be better with an A1cNow. These are supposed to be reasonably accurate and in 5 minutes from a normal finger prick it will give you an estimated HbA1c.
https://www.bhr.co.uk/home-user-products/a1cnow-2

Reactions: Speedbird

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Some people get their DN or practice nurse to draw some extra when they have blood drawn for revue I believe.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people get their DN or practice nurse to draw some extra when they have blood drawn for revue I believe.

I tried that but the nurse was unsure. She said she was willing but needed permission from someone higher up. When she came back she said no because she wouldn't be insured if anything went wrong. She gave me the name of a private GP who would do it for me, for £25.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That is so unfair the needle is in it's just drawing a little more blood that is involved.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Bluetit1802, I will buy it. Another gadget for me to play with. Much appreciated.

I have used 2 of these so far. The first gave me an A1c of 33. (official one on same day was 44).
The second gave me an HbA1c of 39 (official one on same day was 43)

Others on the forum have found they virtually tally.

Reactions: OrsonKartt