Can you teach a learner driver on diabetic 3 year licence?

zoem1503

Hi
My husband has type 1 diabetes controlled by insulin - so he has a 3 year licence. Is he able to teach our son to drive as they say you must have held a licence for 3 years or more - he’s been driving for 25 years but the last 10 years on 3 year medical licences.
I’ve tried looking on DVLA site but not found the answer so though someone on here might be able to help
Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi
My husband has type 1 diabetes controlled by insulin - so he has a 3 year licence. Is he able to teach our son to drive as they say you must have held a licence for 3 years or more - he’s been driving for 25 years but the last 10 years on 3 year medical licences.
I’ve tried looking on DVLA site but not found the answer so though someone on here might be able to help
Thanks

Personally, I don't see why not. There don't seem to be any restrictions on becoming an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI).
https://www.gov.uk/become-a-driving-instructor
(Unless it's buried somewhere in the small print.)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Thanks

Hi,

From what I know, the restricted 3 year licence is only applicable regarding "fitness to drive."
(This is a DVLA requirement regarding certain medical conditions & associated medications (or side effects.) used to manage?)
So, if the historic continuation of the licence goes back "25 years?" (From date of passing the test & valid.)

What I would say, is make sure you husbands BG is steady when teaching your son on a provisional?
He could get "done" as if he was behind the wheel himself.? It has been known for an instructor get prosecuted for "without due care" using a phone in transit with a learner at the wheel...

Reactions: Cloobie

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Yes he has had a license for more than the required time.. the 3 year license us only to confirm he meets the medical requirements every 3 years it for no other reason