1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Canagliflozin

Discussion in 'Other Diabetic Medications' started by chocoholicnomore, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Providence 62

Providence 62 LADA · Well-Known Member

Update - stopping the canagliflozin has had the desired effect. The water infections have stopped completely. Only trouble is that my blood sugars are up despite adding sitagliptin. Neverending, isn't it? I kept a few canagliflozin back when my doc told me to stop taking them, thinking about trying every other day - what do you canagliflozin warriors think?

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just had a discussion with my DN who has suggested I start on this. Since I've always been susceptible to thrush I am a bit concerned about this one. I have to have kidney function checked before I take it, so I have time to think about this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Try and get the med to work for you @Providence 62 . I tried every other day but couldnt get rid of thrush as circulating sugar was lower on meter but bladder full of sugary urine. New med cannot tell anyone if this is safe longterm.
    I wasn't happy to risk unknown complications for science. I stopped canagliflozin.
    I dont think my hba1c was below 60 on it either.

4. Providence 62

Thanks @ickihun for your feedback. I have tried taking my old dose today so let's see how things are tomorrow morning. I have also made it my business to drink a LOT of water.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Providence 62

Hi @ickihun and everyone else. The sugars were much improved this morning. Now let's see how they are after a day with no canagliflozin. Still drinking lots of water.

P

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Providence 62

I am going to continue documenting my canagliflozin issues is that's okay with everyone?

Today's morning reading was 8.3 - no canagliflozin yesterday. Going to try another dose today and see how that goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Providence 62

yes, down again after a day on canagliflozin. 7.6. Going to make an appointment to see my GP next week after a bit more testing. Always like to have the doc agree my medication regime.

8. Providence 62

I have stayed at 7.6 after a day without canagliflozin. Am hopeful I may have hit on a way of getting the benefits of what is for me a wonder drug.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook