Candied Fruit for Everyone?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been watching one of those Ecoscience programs where they discuss scientific advances that hopefully will save the planet. Hence posting in the News feed since it is a new initiative just unveiled that is now being incorporsted into food chains near me and you.

The concept is not new. I remember candied fruit and chocolate coated raisins. the best example of this new process is exemplified by the Toffee apple.

Yes. The scientists have discovered that coating fruits in disaccharride and polysaccharrides delays the decaying process, and forms an airtight barrier that allows the fruit to be shipped with less wasted prduct. So they have started with avacados and cherries and this reduced shipping costs and extended shelf life.

what is a disaccharride? Well, the one we all recognise is table sugar or sucrose, which is a glucose molecule fused to a fructose molecule with a double bond. Other ones we may recognse are Maltose, Dextrose Galactose and it goes on. So they are literally sugar coating fruit by spraying or dipping in a saccharride solution. Even berries are to be treated this way.

Not sure if washing the fruit will remove this sugar coating easily. It makes a change from waxing, which is used on citrus fruits like lemons. But will they tell us if they are sugar coated? I doubt it.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting as while in the States last year the supermarket raspberries were so pristine even though the food miles were vast, that I suspected some kind of preservative, even though nothing was listed. I never imagined it could be sugar related.
After buying 1 pack I never bought them again as the taste was somewhat artificial.
I can't compere them with the ones here as am lucky enough to grow my own.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another good reason to buy locally and in season.

From my experience, I couldn't understand why I stopped losing weight despite being super low on carbs. As a desperate experiment I stopped taking anything with added sweeteners, the main source was sucralose. Within days of stopping my weight started to drop (currently dropping just under 1kg a month). Coincidence? I'm not convinced.

Reactions: Paule Foster