1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cannula bent at base

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Ermintrude75, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Ermintrude75

Ermintrude75 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi

I’ve been on the Ypsopump for 5 weeks now. I changed my site on Friday morning and my have been spiking and coming down with extra corrections. I even upped my basal by 10% and not much difference.

I changed infusion sets this morning and I noticed the cannula was bent at the base of the set. How would this affect insulin delivery/absorption?

2. DunePlodder

DunePlodder Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd expect it to stop absorption completely, though it sounds like some was getting through. How bent was it?

3. Kalobe

Kalobe Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Make sure the needle can be seen poking out through the cannula before you insert.
    Don’t push down when you place the insert on your skin
    Try to avoid your firm toned muscles
    I’ve found that these help. A bent cannula will not let the insulin flow correctly. You can usually tell within a couple of hours. (I also give myself a tiny bolus just before I change to cover the hour or so that it takes for the new site to start absorbing)

4. Ermintrude75

Ermintrude75 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It was a very slight bend maybe 10 degrees at the absolute most. Some was being absorbed just not enough. Changed the site and it went back to normal. Thanks

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook