Cannula stops working during use?

Helen46

@Helen46 have you tried using an increased temporary basal when you change a set? I use a decreased temp basal for 2 hours after changing sets which prevents me going hypo (I am insulin sensitive). I have read on the forum that some pump users require an increased basal to prevent hypers after a set change.
Hi Dancer, The problem when setting a temporary basal is that sometimes I hit the jackpot and need very little extra insulin (relatively) but on other occasions I need a lot. Difficult to predict. Advice from Endo was to have evening meal bolus for that correct if necessary 2-3 hours later, do the set change and then not have anything to eat until breakfast and then correct before breakfast, wait an hour or so and then eat. If I wake during the night and it is higher than it ought to be I will correct then. Experiencing some success with the infusion set on the outside thigh but it is still fairly random although I think I need less insulin to correct but not consistent enough to use a temporary basal. Diabetic 45 years and degree of insulin resistance to deal with. Helen

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am useing the MiniMed Mio cannula for the last 7 months and have recently started experiencing absorption issues. It is a very frustrating experience trying to lower my sugars by putting abnormally large doses of insulin in. I then find that many hours further on, the insulin finally starts to work. Luckily my 670g pump helps by stopping my basal to help me sort it out.
I've now started to change my cannula every 2 days and so far, I have found it is helping a lot.

Reactions: Jollymon
I use the Insight pump. The advice to change my cannula at least every three days came from my medical team who had no commercial interest in increasing my frequency of change. I have just taken the decision to change every other day as I've had the same insulin absorption problems as you if I leave it any longer. I'm also mildly allergic to the adhesive and this helps reduce problems with redness and itching. I fear your cynicism has got the better of you on this occasion although I do share it with you on many occasions.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I know this is an old thread, but a cannula that stops working is called an occlusion. Sometimes the bend over and that’s called a kink, and sometimes the body just heals them closed.

I had a friend show a picture of a rare double kink today from an Omnipod pump. I’d bet the cannula deflected off the skin, and the cannula kinked in the introducer needle kinking the cannula on the pullback. It was really an interesting image of a double kink!