1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can't cope anymore

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by Alex_B, Jul 7, 2017.

1. theoldfunker

theoldfunker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Please speak to somebody Alex_B Life is so precious yet soooo short. I lost my wife after treatment for cancer at just 49 and then with all the stress of that after a visit to the Doctor when I was getting one cold after another in a row, a full M.O.T they tell me I was border line diabetes so changes to diet took place but had no effect, then in 2016 diagnosed Type2 and had been for some time... Big personal crash for me.
    I sank to the bottom of each bottle of whiskey which made things worse of course. Here a year later with support from wonderful friends life is good, Diabetes does take over your life but it's part of the learning curve to change to adapt and make better choices regarding diet and life style.
    Life really is for living. Help is always out there but you have got to own up ask for it.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. leslie10152

leslie10152 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

One year, I've been doing this for nearly thirteen years! Do you think it is easier for me as my condition deteriorates as the years progress. I would gladly give up....but 10,000 voices beg me to stay alive. So I live for them. Is there anything else?

3. Blip22

Blip22 Type 2 · Active Member

:):):)

4. JaaakB95

JaaakB95 Type 1 · Newbie

When you do your insulin, and it comes out with a good result, doesn't it make you feel a little bit good? Like, you're a little bit proud of yourself for getting that result?

That's the feeling I aim for. I miss my injections, and my tests, but when you get that good result, life doesn't seem that bad.

Try get a system like a continuous monitoring system, which can be linked to a pump. That way, it might take a bit of stress away from missed injections etc.

Just remember, people on here can help. You're not the only one going through this. I know you feel alone, and I know it's the most awful feeling, but on here, you're not alone.

People care about you, even the people on here that you've never met. They care because a lot of them can relate.

Jak B

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 2Much_SugarShan

2Much_SugarShan Type 2 · Member

Hello Alex, I was diagnosed with T2 formally just a year and a week ago. I was troubled, and almost weepy with the news; many of my relatives are also diabetic.

I was bitter and resentful for a little while. Went on a DESMOND all-dayer a few weeks later. It was OK, but I still felt as if I'd been "gotten" by something evil.

Fast forward to today. I saw my GP earlier to discuss my HbA1c test. I am down from 49 to 47, even though I have not always been a diligent LCHF person.

Am feeling positive today, three days ago I struggled to get out of bed: I have put studies on hold in order to be there for an elderly parent who is recovering from a stroke, amongst other things.

I do sort of understand how you feel. Diabetes in its various forms can be incredibly isolating. I receive love, respect and encouragement from my loved ones and friends and yet I often feel as if I am in a darkened room all by myself forced to listen to platitudes and half-truths about diabetes from people who do not know ANYTHING about diabetes. (A special kind of hell!)

Please keep in touch with the forums: a problem shared is a problem halved. I didn't intend for this message to be so long: but I feel strongly about inadequate help - and bad press - regarding diabetics in the UK. This forum has helped me deal with that, and is certainly my enabling tool. Even if you can't respond to any posts, peruse this site and make use of it.

I hope this long winded post puts a smile on your face.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Crystalwand

Crystalwand Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just asking has anyone heard from Alex, Alex we all care about you I am in Essex, Southend, let's go for a coffee, if you can, T1 me, I made it through my teens crappy times, now old still bad days but we all have gone through this some better than others, please just say are ok loads of love. Also anyone who is having a crappy time, coffee time , I am not odd just a T1 been though most stuff X X X

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 2Much_SugarShan

2Much_SugarShan Type 2 · Member

Hello Crystalwand, was thinking about Alex today. Am hoping that he / she is OK. Have discovered that Diabetes can also play with one's mood and state of mind.

If Alex is reading this, trust that you are feeling good today.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Lulu9101112

Lulu9101112 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Alex . Remember diabties is just an obstical. I've had diabeties type 1 for 11 years and i'm only 18. I still find it hard someitmes. What helped me get through the times i've hated having it are my friends and cycling (the hobby i got into) so if you still are depresed why don't you try to get into a new hobby enjoy something you like. Diabeties doesn't stop you from doing anything.

9. Lazell123

Lazell123 Type 1 · Member

Hello Alex. When I read your post, it made me cry because I've been where you are at the moment so many times. I'm guessing that you are quite young and you have everything to live for. Life, whether you have type 1 or not, is too precious to give up on. You cannot let this illness win, cannot let it get the better of you. Type 1 diabetes must fit in with your life. not you with it. I'm absolutely sure that in your lifetime there will be a cure - something for you to fight for. Believe me, most of us on the forum understand you and what you're going through. You may not believe it now, but as time marches on it will get easier, never easy, but easier. I am 59 years old and I've had type 1 for 56 of those years, which I believe is quite an achievement. So I'm living proof that you can live a full and rewarding life with type 1 diabetes Alex, and you can too. NEVER GIVE UP!!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook