Can't Feel Tips Of My Toes!?

khadijah_jade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.
I am in a bit of a panic at the moment. So about 4 days ago my big toes started to feel a little numb around the edges, I have now noticed today that the pad of my right big toe and the sides are completely numb and my left toe is only numb around the sides of my nail. I am really worries that maybe this is the beginning of something bad.

My blood sugars have always been well controlled, I've always had a hba1c of around 6. I had a baby 1 year ago and since then they have been a bit harder to control. So I do have frequent highs but most of the time I am in range.

I am going to the doctors tomorrow but I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else and if they could give me some advice?

Many thanks in advance

Natasha

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear that
I have similar symptoms as you describe ,what makes it stable and bearable is is 400 mg ofALA and I also use Dr.Ho Medics
Foot vibrator
My A1c is 6,5

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @khadijah_jade, sorry to hear of your symptoms and worry. Your doctor is the right person to consult. Going on my past experience with examination of my feet by doctors and podiatrists, she/he will be interested in the exact location of your numbness, whether your numbness is to sharp objects or vibration or both. And whether I had been exposed to heavy metals (not the music)!!! like lead, mercury etc.
My lower back was examined, to help rule out a lower back disc problem (or so I was told).
And I had blood tests looking at vitamin levels, I think.
There were thoughts of referring me to an endocrinologist or a neurologist.
The neurologist arranged nerve conduction tests, a somewhat uncomfortable procedure where I was 'zapped' with an relatively electric shock to see how fast the 'zap' travelled along a particular nerve.
I hope your troubles are easily sorted and the solution straight-forward.

khadijah_jade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Pura Vida and @kitedoc thank you both for replying to me. I really appreciate it.

I spoke with my doctor today over the phone and to be honest she didn't really seen too bothered by it. She said that this is unfortunately something that happens with diabetics and it's something I just 'have to live with'. She made it seem like something so small and insignificant. I feel like May be I'm over reacting with being so worried. I Thoguht she would at least want me to come in to take a look or feel around ECT. But I have just been told to look out for any damaged to my feet and to keep an eye on things really.
I just hope it doesn't get any worse.
Thank for your recommendations I will give them a good look up on the internet.
Kind regards
Natasha

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Personally @khadijah_jade, I think you have been given the brush off by your GP.
You may wish to consider seeing another GP, one who is not going to diagnose you over the phone.
Whether you wish to make a complaint about how you were handled by her is up to you.