Can't lose weight

Snow_White

Hi all,

I'm having a really tough time at the moment.

I want to lose weight but everything I'm trying hasn't worked.

Last September I got down to 74Kg but now I've shot back up to 95Kg and can't seem to budge
a pound. I'm worried the meds I'm on (previously respiridone, but now on olanzapine) are causing me
to have diabetic symptons.

My whole life revolves around my weight and I can't start my new life until I've lost the weight.

I've booked a doctors appointment.

Any advice welcome.

yoda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can You can You can !!!!
Take small steps each day , its like giving up smoking , a slightly smaller meal every time you eat , walk that extra distance , and faster !!
Run on the spot at the intervals whilst watching tv . don When you weigh yourself after a day or two , and see that you HAVE lost a pound or two , this will motivate you !!

roland b

I've been trying to cut weight for a few months now and I'm starting to see the results. What helped me was organisation more than anything as I'm kinda anal. The task of compartmentalising my fitness regime, into exercise and diet categories, not only helped me focus on what I needed to do but was kinda calming as micromanaging, though tedious, made the tasks feel less daunting.

For example I really found my stride in dieting via creating a personalised recipe binder. Having a general recipe book has always felt impersonal to me as the multitude of untested recipes on offer make it more likely that I fall back on a tried and true (and most likely unhealthy) meal. A recipe binder (or journal) worked like a personal CD collection for food and because I had a ready selection of favs I found that I stuck to my dieting plan. Oddly enough I even became more adventurous in my eating as my inner collector has me looking for new recipes to add to my collection (one of the main reasons I'm on this forum).

If you're interested you can buy specially made binders with recipe cards like this:
ba-bind-half-int__57932.1341588882.1280.1280.jpg

Or you can just buy a normal ring binder and customise at will. I myself picked the later cos as you can tell I like minutia (distraction is a great coping mechanism :wink: ).

jeanie99

I'm loosing weight and I don't want to so I have the complete opposite problem as you. I eat plenty of food but I need to eat more but without increasing my blood sugar level it's a very fine balance.

But in respect to my pre diabetic diagnosis it was a wake up call.
Diabetes is a nasty disease and if you look at all the complications you can get if you are T1 orT2 that in its self makes you want to change your diet and life style.
You have to get your head around this fact.
None of us know how high blood sugar levels will effect our health in the future, what we do know is that as pre diabetics we can with changing our diets have some chance of delaying becoming a diabetic, is this too much to ask of ourselves, I don't think so.
When I first began my restrictive diet I so missed the desert I had after dinner in the evening it was 4 days before I got over it, sugar is very addictive. I never eat cakes pastries pies now and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

To do anything in life whatever it is especially if you don't want to do it you have lost before you start.
You have to have your mind totally focused on what you want to achieve and go for it.

No matter what anyone says to you the only person who can take this step is you, you are the only person who can make changes to your life.

Make those changes now rather than later. Don't look back and think if only.

People say you can loose weight by exercising I disagree, I go to the gym 2 to 3 times a week and before I went on this pre diabetic diet I never lost any weight.

You go to the gym to maintain muscle strength bone density and aerobic fitness all of which are important.

Best of luck and think positive.

Lillierose

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm loosing weight and don't want to. Are you on a low carb diet? If so how many carbs do you have a day? I try not to go over 50g but find I don't eat enough on that, if I go higher my BS goes to high so can't win really.
My husband keeps saying and worrying I'm loosing to much weight.

bensug

Just a quick note on my own experience. Firstly the low carb diet is in my opinion the biggest thing you can do for your diabetes - it has taken a little getting used to but three years on I would not want to switch back to my old way of eating. I honestly dont know how anyone can effectively manage their blood sugars without going on a low carb diet.

Secondly on the weight loss. Everyone is different of course, but after finally conquering my weight issues (lost 50lbs) I realised that two things hamper weight loss.

1. Fooling yourself and lack of awareness of how much you are eating. Only by actually counting the amount of calories you put in yourself every day can you keep control of your diet - those of us with a weight problem are too good at fooling ourselves and its too easy to say "i ate a salad so that means i am doing really well", when actually the extra cheese and mayo they put on the salad means they had a big meal! This gets very discouraging as you feel like you are trying really hard and eating healthily but you dont seem to lose weight.
2. Trying too hard! Seriously most people cut their calories so quickly that they experience great pain and hardship - all that does is reinforce the belief that dieting is painful, and people come off the wagon and pile on the weight again. Your body reacts badly to sudden calorie reduction and basically screams at you to eat!

So if you want to lose the weight I would suggest the following.

STEP 1: Just get used to counting the calories you eat every day. Don't try to lose weight at all. This disciple by itself is a new skill to learn and takes time. However once you start to do this you will probably notice you begin to eat less naturally because you are becoming more AWARE of how much you are eating.

STEP2: Notice how much you are eating on a daily basis, and start to reduce the amount but a small amount, say 50 calories each day. You will only sightly notice this, but over a week you will be reducing the amount you are eating by 350 calories a day. Your stomach will start to shrink and your body will start to adjust to the new diet - you will feel slightly peckish occasionaly, but not STARVING. Keep reducing the daily calories until just before you start to feel its difficult, then keep at the same calories for another week for your body to adjust further. Then try to cut again by a small amount each day. Repeat the process and you will find you will lose a significant amount of weight, and in a month or two you will eating an amount of food that will lead to sustained weight loss.

STEP3: If you have a bad day or week don't despair - its normal, in fact its inevitable , so you should expect it but it wont mean you have failed. Don't view it as the end of your diet, but as a break from it. And try to keep track of your calories even when you are going off the wagon. Then when you are ready to continue the diet the key is don't try to cut straight back down to your baseline calorie intake. Repeat step 2 again and you will find within a week or so you are back down to this level. The whole approach is to reduce strain on your body and mind, and make weight loss natural and easy rather than painful.

tuppence47

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being stuck indoors too much, bothersome phone calls, junk mail, rude people
Am also not losing weight, although it's early days yet I have cut out most fats, I loved butter & cheese especially, have stopped eating sweet sugary foods. I haven't been able to exercise much for a few years now due to physical problems so that is nothing new. I am finding that my taste for foods is changing & I'm going off some of the things I used to love & which I ought to be eating, such as fish & some things just taste awful without salt, & I'm also losing my appetite. All in all I'm feeling a bit down as my levels aren't dropping, I'm stuck at an average of 12/13 but it can go down to 8 & up to 17 in one day! :(

collectingrocks

Hi Snow_White

You CAN lose weight....it can be done.

Having said that, I have lost a stone and struggle to lose more.

But apart from cutting back on most things SUGAR, I have also discovered that I should cut back on wheat. Look this up and you'll be surprised what contains wheat these days. Wheat raises blood sugar very quickly promoting the release of insulin which is a fat storage hormone.

C

catherinecherub

Snow_White said:
Hi all,

I'm having a really tough time at the moment.

I want to lose weight but everything I'm trying hasn't worked.

Last September I got down to 74Kg but now I've shot back up to 95Kg and can't seem to budge
a pound. I'm worried the meds I'm on (previously respiridone, but now on olanzapine) are causing me
to have diabetic symptons.

My whole life revolves around my weight and I can't start my new life until I've lost the weight.

I've booked a doctors appointment.

Any advice welcome.

Hi,

The drugs that you are on do cause weight gain and it is very difficult to find one that will suit you and also stop the weight gain.

I would suggest that you ask your Dr. if you can start Metformin as some patients taking drugs for the same condition as yours have found that this helps to stop the weight gain.

It is not easy when you have other health problems to consider and sometimes one problem has to take precedence over another.

Please let us have an update when you do see your Dr.

Take care,

CC.