Cant work out whats wrong

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all
Wondering if this rings any bells with anyone? Partner been on 2 different types of metformin since being diagnosed at Christmas, he has suffered almost constantly with his stomach cramps and last week we were in France (he had been a bit naughty with his food eg he ate a hot x bun 2 days running but they were wholemeal!) so he got more and more stomach aches/cramping and eventually we rang the GP on Tuesday who said stop the Metformin but continue with the gliclozide. He got quite bad constipation but his blood readings were normal for him but high for anyone else e.g 8.5 - 9 a.m and p.m Eventually the stomach ache also became backache and he spent most nights walking round the room in pain although I did find a hot microwave pack which gave him some relief. He also had been treated for quite a severe burn the week previously at the hospital, anyway, we made it back to the UK by this time he was feeling quite weak and we got an emergency GP apt where they took bloods and gave him Senna to take, by Sunday he'd taken 12 of these and no action! So by Sunday lunchtime I ended up calling 111 and we went to casualty as this band of pain was still there, to cut a long story short they gave him an enema which relieved him and all his bloods and his blood sugar was normal (8.1) despite having no breakfast. He has lost a lot of weight and muscle. So last night he ate a small meal but says he has no appetite, went back to GP today for fasting blood and has an appointment with the GP on Thursday. We've just been to Lidl and he felt weak pushing the trolley and had trouble picking up the boxes. We are self employed and he works manually so atm incapable of earning. I have said to do nothing tomorrow but should he do a bit of exercise or lay on the sofa? His pains have come back but are not as bad, He's had no Metformin for 6 days now, also he keeps burping, any clues please? GP doesn't seem to be taking it seriously enough, he just said no starch no sugar.
Thanks for reading!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do think he should go back to the Doctor and make them listen to his problems.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Although Metformin can cause upset tummy (an understatement), there's a lot going on there and he needs to see his GP really. I hope he gets sorted soon.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sounds more digestive, I would suggest testing for coeliac. Get back to the GP and really emphasize how bad he is