Cappuccino addict

chattycathy28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am new to LCHF diet. My downfall is Cappuccino. I think I may be addicted! Not sure if the fat in the milk is OK. Any advice greatly received. Thank you. X:)

Reactions: Freema

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its not the fat that is the issue but the sugar (lactose) are they home made? if so swopping to 'lactofree' milk would help a lot

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
swapping to double cream would work well too and make it even yummier..the fat is what the F in LCHF is. You need more of it not less if going very low carb.

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as far as I am informed from my hospital the problem with lactofree milk is that it is not relly milk-carb-free but the lacto has been changed by some chemical reaction, but the milk sugar is in another form still in the milk.
so lacto-free milk still has the same amount of carbs

http://glutenfreeproducts.biz/what-is-lactose-free-milk/ ;
What is lactose free milk ?
Lactose free milk is a plant-based milk or a regular milk with added lactase enzyme. Lactose-free milk has a longer shelf life than regular milk and tastes sweeter than regular milk.
How is lactose free milk made?
Lactose free milk is maid by adding small amounts of the enzyme lactase to regular milk. The lactase breakes down lactose into its constituent components (glucose and galactose). This is a practice for many manufacturers that offers lactose free milk and products.
http://organicvalley.custhelp.com/a...-organic-valley-lactose-free-milk-and-organic

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the problem with lactofree milk is that it is not relly lacto-free but the lacto has been changed by some chemical reaction, but the milk sugar is in another form still in the milk.
so lacto-free milk still has the same amount of carbs
err sorry but it doesn't..
Full fat milk in the UK has 4.7g of carb per 100ml
Full fat Lactofree in the UK has 2.7g of carb per 100ml not quite half but almost
Double cream has 2.6g per 100ml for the sake of completeness (and makes it taste my nicer IMHO)

A

asparagusp

Everything in moderation! The only way you will know is if you test you sugar levels before and after a cup.

Pret A Manger will substitute soya milk if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lactose free milk has the milk sugar lactase broken down into two simple sugars, galactose and glucose. Besides in the cappuccino the milk quantity is minimal, so maybe use wholemilk isn't a big problem.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lactose free milk has the milk sugar lactase broken down into two simple sugars, galactose and glucose. Besides in the cappuccino the milk quantity is minimal, so maybe use wholemilk isn't a big problem.
It would still have to be displayed in total carbohyrate content though, so it may be broken down but its also removed.

Also there is still quite a lot of milk in a cappuccino.

A

asparagusp

I'm not that sure there's a lot of milk. It's all frothed up. You could too switch to having just a coffee with a little added ordinary milk. Talking of which my coffee break is looming so I better go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Freema

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not that sure there's a lot of milk. It's all frothed up.
We're talkin about this:
cappuccino.jpg

not about this:
Latte-Macchiato-Gläser.jpg

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love Cappuccino ... doubble cream must be the best suggestion..

off topic, the other day I took some cream powder at my fitness center to put into my coffee and then I read what was written on it.... they had added glucose syrup to the cream powder...... GOSH !
just for fun I read it to see how they´d changed the fats in it if it would show, but never expected to read there was glucose syrup in it.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just switched from cappuccino and lattes to coffee with cream. After the third cup I was enjoying it more than I had ever done with the milk-coffees.

(of course, now I have given coffee up too, but hey ho. it was good while it lasted)

Hotpepper20000

I love coffee. When I go out I use to have a cappuccino but found it put up my BG two points. So now I order a double espresso and add cream to it. Yummy

Attachments

• IMG_1573.JPG
    IMG_1573.JPG
    873.7 KB · Views: 372
Reactions: ufukof

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I even managed to get one in Starbucks recently.. they have cream in the fridge so you have to ask for it..

Reactions: ufukof