1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Car hire in France

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by Richie_B, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Richie_B

Richie_B · Newbie

Hi

I am trying to hire a car in France & am running into problems. I can't find a solution online, so I am asking you guys....
    I passed my test in October 1991. I held a licence solidly for 15 years, but didn't drive for a while, so didn't renew. Started driving again this year, so have a current licence.
    My problem is french companies have a requirement to have held a licence for a set time, it seems. My licence appears as if I passed my test this year & I don't know how to evidence that I have been driving for more than 20 years....
    It's easy in the UK, but this is causing me stress....
    Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered

R

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Hire a car via the UK counterpart?
    i.e. hire through Hertz in the UK for your French pick up?

Edit to addd other car companies are available.. doesn't your license have the date you passed your test on it?
    On the back somewhere?

3. Richie_B

Richie_B · Newbie

TY so much for this! I can be really stupid sometimes. The date of my test pass is on the back in tiny numbers, that's awesome, thanks!

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

No worries.. enjoy France!

5. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Richie_B try Budget, they are a sub-brand of Avis and many of their sites are actually Avis, and you can often end up with an Avis car at a Budget price

https://www.budget.co.uk/

I think in Europe Firefly is the cheaper sub-brand of Hertz

6. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

A slightly "out there" suggestion: ditch the car and let the train take the strain.
    I recently had a fantastic holiday in France with no car.
    The trains were much much cheaper than the UK, comfortable, on time and no hassle.

However, we walk a lot (over 100 miles in 10 days) so did not mind dragging our luggage to and from the station.
    And there was one place we couldn't get to without a car.

7. Richie_B

Richie_B · Newbie

Hi
    I would normally not use a car abroad, hence the confusion about all of this. It is just for one day of a 10 day holiday for something that isn't really possible without. We are hiring bikes on the next day to make up for it & most of the travel planned is by train ;-)
    Normally, I would just cycle it (I do ultra-distance cycling for fun), but that would involve city centre cycling in France with a partner who is less keen on traffic, so would prob result in a less-than-romantic day lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Richie_B

Richie_B · Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look them up

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook