Car insurance

jessica16

Hello, I'm 19 years old and a type 1 diabetic. I'm due to change my car insurance after driving two years with a telematics box on my car. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any cheap car insurance companies taking into consideration my diabetes :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hello, I'm 19 years old and a type 1 diabetic. I'm due to change my car insurance after driving two years with a telematics box on my car. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any cheap car insurance companies taking into consideration my diabetes :)
All you can do is search for your own ins company making sure you declare your diabetes. It's illegal for an ins company to load your premium due to diabetes.

jessica16

Yeah I know it is. the thing is, I did a quote with the same insurance company my friend has just taken her insurance out with.. she paid £1300 for a year with no box, she's been passed her test less than a week and I got quoted £1400, I've been passed two years, I've got a newer car and a lower engine so I'm putting it down to the fact I've got a 3 year restricted license because of my diabetes ☹️

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jessica16 have a look at moneysavingexpert.com for some great tips on saving, and IF it is worth it do use a cashback website

jessica16

All you can do is search for your own ins company making sure you declare your diabetes. It's illegal for an ins company to load your premium due to diabetes.

Yeah I know it is. the thing is, I did a quote with the same insurance company my friend has just taken her insurance out with.. she paid £1300 for a year with no box, she's been passed her test less than a week and I got quoted £1400, I've been passed two years, I've got a newer car and a lower engine so I'm putting it down to the fact I've got a 3 year restricted license because of my diabetes ☹️

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I wouldn't necessarily say it was your diabetes.

The value of your car will impact the cost. It may be newer, but that means it would be more expensive for the insurer to replace if it was written off in an accident where you were at fault, or where no other vehicle was involved. Things like age, postcode, how you actually did on your telematic box will be taken into account, although the latter will only be available to your current company I think. I'm not certain about the telematic stuff.

I don't know if that insurance was for you only, but it's interesting, my insurance (I have been driving 40 years, so that gives you a clue to my age) is cheaper with my partner on it, than for me alone, and by a notable amount. That said, YOU must be the primary driver for your car. It could be worth adding your Mum or Dad, for a quote at least, provided they've been driving a while, haven't had any accidents or too many points their license.

Insurance is quite a complicated business.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A lot of the time you'll get a better premium if you speak to the insurance provider over the phone.

Use a comparison site to get a quote and then provide the insurer with the quote ID or whatever it's called. It'll be a series of numbers and letters which will display all the details you entered online on their computer screen.

From there you can then request money off or say that a competitor has offered you a lower price for the same cover. A lot of the time they will match it purely to expand their customer base.

And I'll second what @AndBreathe says, get your parents or another family member with a long driving history and clean license on your policy. It'll lower your premium in almost all cases. I still have my parents on mine and they're yet to drive my car.

New and popular cars tend to increase insurance due to them being more likely candidates to be stolen and written off, purely by law of averages.

Unfortunately, insurance is a necessary evil that we cannot escape.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've got a newer car and a lower engine so I'm putting it down to the fact I've got a 3 year restricted license because of my diabetes ☹️
Your licence is not restricted it's a full licence valid for 3 years. As your car is new and worth more money then you will pay more. Shop around is the simple answer.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Certain classes of car also attract different premiums. Foreign made cars attract a higher rate, and cars with a go faster stripe (eg twin carbs, sports trim etc attract higher cost than a mom & dad car, Also your annual mileage gets factored in - too many or too few increases their loading My insurance went up when I retired since my expected mileage dropped, so I upped it to 7000 mukes per year and the price dropped.