Carb Counting Problems

Kev68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the most frustrating things about counting carbs is finding foods which the listed carb content doesn't match the effect on my blood sugar. For instance I find that with Nairns Gluten Free Oatcakes I have to totally disregard what the listed carb amount is and through trial and error have worked out the correct amount for me.

On the packaging it states:

Carbs Per 100g = 53.3g
Carbs Per Oatcake = 4.8g

The oatcakes come packaged in three pouches of six - so using the amount per oatcake then one pouch would contain 28.8g. However I have found that by using this amount I will always end up going low - and the actual amount which works for me is 12g per pouch. That is a huge difference. Its not down to the slow release of the carbs in the oatcakes as I don't get a rebound high a few hours later when I use 12g.

It would seem that it is either a) a problem with my absorption of this particular food or b) incorrect labelling.

I also have problems with soups and usually have to adjust the carb count downwards - is this due to the bio-availability of carbs from certain vegetables or perhaps again it is just my absorption? I don't have problems with foods like potatoes, pasta, rice, fruit etc so my ratio's definitely are not the issue.

I find this sort of thing very annoying as it adds an extra layer of complexity to an already tedious task. Does anyone else have any particular problems with certain foods?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I find this sort of thing very annoying as it adds an extra layer of complexity to an already tedious task. Does anyone else have any particular problems with certain foods?

There are certain foods/meals where the I:C ratio doesn't add up but I don't find Nairns Oatcakes are one of them.

The good thing is you've identified the problem, dealt with it accordingly and have good postprandial bg results, better doing that than give up on a food item completely :)

Reactions: Kev68

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Kev68, typically, unlike porridge, the way they are cooked doesn't seem to release the sugars from the grains in the same way. As a result, I find them fairly slow releasing as well. But it will all depend on our own individual gut bacteria and body set up as to how foods will affect us. At least you've found a way of dealing with it!

Reactions: Kev68