Carb counting

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carb counting is a pest and definitely something I wish I could ignore.
However, it is a necessity that I have found my way around through practice.
- I started by learning what has lots of carbs (bread, pasta, cake, ...), what has no carbs (cheese, fish, meat, ...), what has a few carbs which when injecting can be ignored (most vegetables) and a few things in between such as fruit.
- I read food packaging ... when it has some. I am a big fan of cooking from scratch and avoiding cellophane wrapped apples (and the like) so much of what I eat is not labelled.
- I don't use carbs and cals because I was famished by the time I found the food I was about to eat in the book/app. I use Google "carbs in..." (and remember @GrantGam's comment about US sites including fibre ... which we don't digest)
- I do not try to be overly precise. The only way to accurately measure how many carbs are in a meal is to burn it and weigh the remaining carbon. Everything else is a good approximation: carbs in fruit and veg vary according to how ripe they are, how much sun they got, what the soil was like; sandwiches vary according to how much filling someone put in them; even packaged stuff varies as you may have the slice of cake with more fruit in or how the lasagne was may not be thoroughly mixed before it was poured into the packet.
- I accept I will get it wrong some times so I test and correct.

It definitely gets better over time.
When my DN said I should count carbs o_O:confused:
And I found by accident the Google "carbs in.." and then also by accident Tesco online groceries.... nearly every food item has a Nutrients listing below the item description :cat::cool::)
My hubby was taking care of 90% of the meal prep, :angelic::cool: but I recently drastically changed my diet from veggie to nearer vegan and GF too :wideyed::wacky::rolleyes: although I will eat fish occasionally. So now I take control of my meals and Hubby does his and his daughters' meals :hungry::hungry:
I have been diligently weighing every morsel of food, but starting to get a hang of it all now :cool::joyful: and am experimenting a bit more.... like aubergine lasagna and cauliflower rice :hungry::hungry: I can only have low to medium fat due to gallbladder removed and a hiatus hernia. I'm on a lot of different meds at mo too, so really looking forward to dropping a few when the low carb die,t started in July, kicks in and BG returns to 'normal' levels :):singing::joyful:

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I use the app Carbs and Cals on my iphone, its great and the i enter the carb value in the mysugr app. I went low carb a while ago and really feel the benefit of that.

Reactions: Butterfly1960