CARB FREE MEALS

Kerry Mateer

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning,
I am needing to do a carb free day to momnitor my slow release insulin. Really struggling with ideas. Would love to hear some. Have a good day

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A carb free meal will not help. In the absence of carbs, our body will break down protein so you will still need insulin.
It is recommended to do a basal test over 3 x 8 hour periods during which you do not eat. So, you do not have to go for a whole day of fasting - just 8 hours at a time.

Kerry Mateer

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A carb free meal will not help. In the absence of carbs, our body will break down protein so you will still need insulin.
It is recommended to do a basal test over 3 x 8 hour periods during which you do not eat. So, you do not have to go for a whole day of fasting - just 8 hours at a time.
Thank you. As stated it is recommended by my diabetic team. I am to have breakfast and insulin as normal and for the rest of the day I am to have no carb food.
Was just wondering other than meat and salad what I could have
Thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. As stated it is recommended by my diabetic team. I am to have breakfast and insulin as normal and for the rest of the day I am to have no carb food.
Was just wondering other than meat and salad what I could have
Thanks
This advice from your team makes no sense. Eating no carbs will not test your basal as it your BG will raise through eating non-carb.
This describes how to do a basal test.

Note: salad will contain carbs. Even lettuce has carbs in it.

Reactions: AloeSvea

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’d stick to meat, eggs and fish. Mmmm a lovely big ribeye with a good amount of fat running through the meat! Got my mouth watering.

Reactions: Outlier and MimT

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah - whenver folks talk to me about carb-free eating plans, I say the only real carb-free loaded with power food is meat and seafood/fish. (According to my understanding at least.)

I have yet to talk to a friend who has understood that fruit and vegetables are nature's carbs! (With a lot of help from us growing sweeter varieties...) And I get lots of shock-response when I tell them.