carb junkie needs to reform

Dippy3103

Hi. As a T2 DX in Nov 2009, i have been doing a lot of research into Diabetes.
I have had the NHS advice to eat starchy carbs, and i knew i needed to loose rather a lot of wieght anyway.
I am a (strict) vegetarian and my diet for years and years has very much ben carbs, carbs and more carbs.
I have decided to give lo carbing a go- on the basis that:-

1, maybe my very high crabs diet is how i got into this state in the first place. I have often watched the diet programs and thought that i don't eat as much as the big people on them!
2, If it doesn't work for me after a decent amount of time, then i can allways re think!

Can anyone advise me on a good starting point as a carb limit? Can anyone recommend a really simple carb counting book? Any other tips?
Thanks in advance,

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Dippy3103 said:
Can anyone recommend a really simple carb counting book? Any other tips?
Thanks in advance,

Do you want a good reference book in which case, The Calorie Carb and Fat Bible 2010 is what I would recommend. The book is updated every year and is also recommended by our resident Dietician as well.

If you want a 'pocket' book, try Collins Gem Carb or better still the Calorie Counter which has more information. The information in them is good but there have been many discrepancies which the Publisher refuses to acknowledge. Therefore I don't recommend it any more. Your choice though.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dippy,

Carb junkie....................................I like that one! :lol:

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just ordered 'The Calorie Carb and Fat Bible 2010' from Amazon for £8.85 with free delivery.

Regards

Nigel

Dippy3103

Thanks Cugila.... accurate is more important than portable!

Will have look on e-bay.... being snowed in i am doing a bit of that at the moment,possibly too much!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Sue,

I would have put link on myself, but I am unsure how you do so, could you post a idiots guide for adding links etc.

Thanks

Nigel

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Easiest way, Nigel, is to just copy the link from the address bar then paste into the post.

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there dippy3103,
I too was a vegetarian carb junkie - until the start of 2009 - now a low carb much thinner low
carber. Gave up lots but found other stuff to replace it.
There is loads of information on this forum.

My book list would be:
Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101, also a website of the same name: bloodsugar101.com/

Rose Elliott has 2 low carb cook books: check on Amazon
Low Carb Diet Cookbook
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-Low- ... 827&sr=1-1
and
The vegetarian Low Carb Diet
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-Low- ... 827&sr=1-2

I also bought the (non vegetarian) Dan and Mary Eade's Low Carb comfort food Cookbook http://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-Carb-Comfor ... 517&sr=1-2

The last one gives lots of ideas for low carb breads pancakes and other treats as well as other types of dish. Useful if you are catering for non veggies at home.

You can do it but it takes a bit of time to work out a how to revise your some of your existing recipes replacing breadcrumbs with ground almonds for instance and finding new ideas that you enjoy.

Dippy3103

Thanks all... i am going to give low carbing a darn good go- have read some pretty inspiring stuff on here!

Amazon here i come...