Carb ratio and insulin needs sharp incline

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

For about a month I have been doubling my exercise (extra sessions at the gym thanks to work) yet my C:I ratios have gone up from 1:10 to 1:5.

I've got an appointment with my nurse next week who is not especially worried and she mentioned that novorapid is not working in a lot of people recently due to imports not being the same?

Anyway I'm thoroughly saddened and feel completely lost and wondered if this has ever happened to anyone else?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
she mentioned that novorapid is not working in a lot of people recently due to imports not being the same?
Woah - she mentioned what? If ever there was a reason for a major MHRA Yellow Carding exercise by Type 1 diabetics, this is it. We can't have pharmacies importing insulin because it's cheaper if it results in the insulin not working!

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wrote about this previously. I'm sorry I don't know how to link to my previous posts. It is subject to yellow card and she is speaking to Sanofi. But until something has been done I've had to check my insulin isn't imported with not much luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Woah - she mentioned what? If ever there was a reason for a major MHRA Yellow Carding exercise by Type 1 diabetics, this is it. We can't have pharmacies importing insulin because it's cheaper if it results in the insulin not working!

It seems to be an on-going issue, there's been a few threads over the last year where members have said they've had issues with insulin imported from certain countries.

TBH I've not experienced this @rorshach , could you not try getting your prescription from another pharmacy in the hope that they use a different supplier?

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried all the big chains as she suggested and every time there is at least one prescription that is imported.

GBS_82_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I was diagnosed just a couple of months before you. My insulin sensitivity still changes quite a lot and apparently this is fairly common in the first year or so after diagnosis.

Gareth x

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Probably a stupid question, but how do I check if my insulin is imported?? I'm getting worried now, as I've noticed some slight insulin resistance of late but never even considered this being the culprit....

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's usually a label over the main part of the pen. The problem is (as my nurse said) is some can not have a sticker and still be imported they are usually more stiff and jam more.

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your reply, but I don't use pens! Do you (or anyone else) know how you can tell from vials?