Carbohydrate enjoyment

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I am fairly liberal when it comes to carbs but like everything else I do not over do it. Moderation and balance is key. I am 40 years Type 1 but generally speaking I eat what I want when I want..

If I did not have Diabetes my pancreas would produce the insulin needed to regulate the sugars in my blood following my food eaten. I know it might sound silly but I look at it as though I carry a pancreas around with me in my pocket (Insulin Pen Novorapid) and use it when I eat something whether that be a fresh salad or a carby meal. The only difference being my insulin not coming directly from my pancreas.. It is injected but does the same thing.

I sometimes think what a terrible shame it would be if I did not allow my self to indulge every now and then on a Spag Bol, Lamb Jalfrezi with Rice, Rump Steak and Chips and maybe once in a while an Apple Turnover with Cream..

Knowing what to Bolus has come with experience but I do not live by my condition. I respect it greatly, I just do not obsess over what I eat. Would be awful if I didn't use my Insulin for what it is for!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and KK123

Keitho 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would be interesting to see the difference in Hba1C's across the different idiologies attached to carbohydrates. I am running a much lower carb diet as a T1 Diabetic and have a Hba1C of 5.4. I am very fit doing 300 plus km of riding a month which sometimes allows for sweets when going low and I am very much perfect from a weight perspective. We have no idea of the numbers in the above thread which should be a key part of this conversation I would have thought.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Would be interesting to see the difference in Hba1C's across the different idiologies attached to carbohydrates. I am running a much lower carb diet as a T1 Diabetic and have a Hba1C of 5.4. I am very fit doing 300 plus km of riding a month which sometimes allows for sweets when going low and I am very much perfect from a weight perspective. We have no idea of the numbers in the above thread which should be a key part of this conversation I would have thought.
I'm pretty much the opposite of yourself, exept for eating lowish carbs most of the time. Still enjoying my Belgian specialty beers and the occasional Chinese take-away (minus most of the rice) though.
Furthermore, extreme couch potato due to depression and anxiety, especially since lockdown. BMI of around 35. Smoker. Same hba1c as you have with a pretty stable line though.

Beating-My-Betes

Quite a few type I stories, here:

https://www.masteringdiabetes.org/case-studies/

Also, this guy:

https://drewsdailydose.com

https://www.instagram.com/drews.daily.dose/?hl=en