Type 2 Carbose

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to say I’ve never heard of it. What is it? Is it prescribed or a supplement/ over the counter option?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does not appear to be a medication.
https://www.genesis.ag/carbose-splash/
Seems to be liquid sugar, so may possibly be a sweetener.

Carbose is available for T2D treatment but Drugs.com lists it as unsuitable. The main seller of this can be found on the web, but I do not wish to add any link to what is a hard sell site.

can reduce the effectiveness of Metformin by about 20% apparently.

According to the BNF a drug Acarbose can be prescribed by doctors, and is noted as having a slight effect in reducing starch conversion in the intestine, Has several interactions, especially with antacid preparations, and in itself can cause diarrhea and gastric distress for which antacids should not be used.
https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/acarbose.html

According to another alternative therapy wesite
"
There have been rare postmarketing reports of pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis associated with the use of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, including Carbose. Pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis may present with symptoms of diarrhea, mucus discharge, rectal bleeding, and constipation. Complications may include pneumoperitoneum, volvulus, intestinal obstruction, intussusception, intestinal hemorrhage, and intestinal perforation. If pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis is suspected, discontinue Carbose and perform the appropriate diagnostic imaging.
More: https://www.ndrugs.com/?s=carbose

According to an alternative therapy site, Ndrugs,com
"
There have been rare postmarketing reports of pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis associated with the use of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, including Carbose. Pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis may present with symptoms of diarrhea, mucus discharge, rectal bleeding, and constipation. Complications may include pneumoperitoneum, volvulus, intestinal obstruction, intussusception, intestinal hemorrhage, and intestinal perforation. If pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis is suspected, discontinue Carbose and perform the appropriate diagnostic imaging."

Edit to add: Healthline has a more complete list of side effects and drug interactions that are not in the BNF
https://www.healthline.com/health/acarbose-oral-tablet#other-warnings

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anyone else taking this medication and dose it keep you fuller for longer?
Best way to keep fuller for longer is eat a decent meal made of freshly cooked single ingredient foods.
Plenty of protein and fat and zero or very few carbs.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating enough of the right sort of food, i.e. less starchy sugary stuff and enough protein and normal/full fat food keeps me from getting hungry, and suits me fine, so I've no need to resort to other means.

Having read @Oldvatr's post listing the large list of possible side effects and that it appears to be a form of liquid sugar means it's not something I'd choose to add to my T2 diet anyway, and from what I've seen on Google it also appears to be some sort of plant type fertiliser... :eek:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eating enough of the right sort of food, i.e. less starchy sugary stuff and enough protein and normal/full fat food keeps me from getting hungry, and suits me fine, so I've no need to resort to other means.

Having read @Oldvatr's post listing the large list of possible side effects and that it appears to be a form of liquid sugar means it's not something I'd choose to add to my T2 diet anyway, and from what I've seen on Google it also appears to be some sort of plant type fertiliser... :eek:
Clarificaion:- Carbose (as per the OP) is sugary starch, Acarbose is Anti-- Carbose and counteracts the effects of Carbose. This latter is the med which is what I think we are talking about.

Reactions: Robbity